Trump Blimp Burst

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2019 10:18 am
It seems that some woman has stabbed the Trump-mocking protest blimp and caused it to burst.

This raises the question of whether it is good to destroy monuments to ridicule, such as this one, or to preserve them as material reminders of how hate expresses itself.

How can we decry the milkshaking of political opponents as a violent form of political expression without also criticizing the destruction of property, even if that property is a mean-spirited mocking effigy that works as a humiliating caricature at a personal level?

If anything, interviews should be conducted and published with the designers of the blimp, why they chose the aspects they did and how they feel justified in expressing such personalized ridicule in this way.

How else can such hate be recorded for posterity in order to reflect on it?

farmerman

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2019 04:10 pm
@livinglava,
you say "hate" when its your ox. I call it pure caricature based upon traits he displays in the public. He is a living cartoon face it .
TRump countenances violence, thats the reality we should be looking at.
livinglava

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2019 05:00 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

you say "hate" when its your ox. I call it pure caricature based upon traits he displays in the public. He is a living cartoon face it .
TRump countenances violence, thats the reality we should be looking at.

It's hard to see it as hate when you're immersed in it and inhabiting it.

Living in a culture of ridicule, where you are either ridiculing others or in fear of the ridicule happening to you, is how people fall in line with a fascist culture of fear.

Fascism might be (part of) what you hate and ridicule, but still your mind can be driven into submission by the hate/ridicule/fear.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2019 12:25 am
livinglava wrote:
How can we decry the milkshaking of political opponents as a violent form of political expression without also criticizing the destruction of property, even if that property is a mean-spirited mocking effigy that works as a humiliating caricature at a personal level?

I think it would be fair for the police to arrest the perpetrator for damaging property.

I was surprised to read that the arrest was instead for possession of a sharp object.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2019 04:03 am
I think the best way to respond to the Trump balloon is to make balloons that are offensive caricatures of leftist politicians.

Leftists still get hysterical over their delusions of supposed racism directed towards Obama. If the right were to construct a big statue of Obama sitting on a toilet and saying how much he hates freedom and civil liberties, the left would have a collective seizure.

Such a course of action would end in one of two ways. Either leftists would shape up and stop being so offensive. Or they would have to learn to live with their own figures being portrayed just as offensively.

Either outcome would be fine with me.
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2019 05:21 am
@oralloy,
why not? we hav political cartoons and they can be funny no matter what your leaning? I used to laugh at how Obama's ears gradually grew and grew through the years and now I get a real blast at how Trumps "Carp mouth" an his ever lengthening red tie seem to have taken over his portraits.

0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2019 07:16 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I think the best way to respond to the Trump balloon is to make balloons that are offensive caricatures of leftist politicians.

Leftists still get hysterical over their delusions of supposed racism directed towards Obama. If the right were to construct a big statue of Obama sitting on a toilet and saying how much he hates freedom and civil liberties, the left would have a collective seizure.

Such a course of action would end in one of two ways. Either leftists would shape up and stop being so offensive. Or they would have to learn to live with their own figures being portrayed just as offensively.

Either outcome would be fine with me.

The problem is that you end up in a race to the bottom. It may not be great when someone gets killed for drawing a caricature of the Prophet Mohamed, but unfortunately it is one of the only ways that the culture of hate/ridicule/mockery gets the message that you have to stop hating/mocking and start respecting.

You can't have constructive discourse if people only hate and mock each other. People have to be able to say what they think and have people that think differently than them listen respectfully and respond that they understand, but then explain their own POV. Then, when no one is mocking and ridiculing each other, they can start to work toward agreements that don't offend either side.

This is not compromise, because compromise means both sides giving in a little to reach a middle-ground. What I'm talking about is constructive cooperation in reaching a middle-ground where neither side has to give in because neither expects the other to accept anything that it can't according to its conscience.

In other words, everyone has (or should have) a conscience that they are using as a basis for what they seek politically; so constructive political dialogue and cooperation should be about people with different POVs working on common solutions that satisfy everyone's conscience.

People mocking each other's leaders with hideous effigies doesn't move anything in constructive direction, except maybe by helping people reach the point where they've gotten enough of the mockery and hate; which is why the blimp shouldn't have been harmed.
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2019 08:37 am
@livinglava,
excellent viiew point.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Trump Blimp Burst
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 02:56:30