I am sorry to get back to you but...... or I am sorry for getting back to you but.....

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2019 01:31 pm
Should I write, "I am sorry to get back to you but......" or "I am sorry for getting back to you but....."?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 568 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2019 09:41 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:

Should I write, "I am sorry to get back to you but......" or "I am sorry for getting back to you but....."?

Thank you.

It's an odd sentiment to apologize for.

Do you mean...
"I am sorry for NOT getting back to you but....."? People would apologize for not replying to another person's text or email or phone call (never vice versa).

If this is the case? The latter works with NOT. The former sentence does not work in the negative.
paok1970

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2019 11:15 am
@tsarstepan,
Does the sentence below sound OK?

I'm sorry to get back to you (again) but I still need your help with my English homework.

If not, how would you express the concept above?

Thanks again for your kind help.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2019 12:14 pm
@paok1970,
I'm sorry to bother you again but I still need your help with my English homework.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2019 10:56 pm
@paok1970,
You would not say that. You might say, "I'm sorry I took so long to get back to you."
0 Replies