Liverpool players or the Liverpool players?

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2019 08:06 pm
The following description accompanies a YouTube video celebrating Liverpool's victory against Tottenham Hotspur yesterday evening:

Liverpool players and fans join together in harmony and belt out a spine tingling rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone after beating Tottenham in the Champions League final...

My question is this:

Shouldn't "Liverpool players" be preceded by the article "the" as we are talking about a group of SPECIFIC players?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 474 • Replies: 8
No top replies

nacredambition

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2019 08:17 pm
@paok1970,
http://www.englishteachermelanie.com/grammar-when-not-to-use-the-definite-article/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2019 04:46 am
@paok1970,
It could be, but it's acceptable as it is. The Liverpool players sounds a bit stilted, almost like it's the name of a band. Liverpool players sounds more natural, and it's not like the youtube viewers don't know what's happening.

You'd have to be living under a rock not to know Liverpool beat Spurs to win the Champions League yesterday.

Or an American with their peculiar sports that nobody else is interested in.
paok1970

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2019 05:34 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

and it's not like the youtube viewers don't know what's happening.

I'm sorry to get back to you but the only part of your explanation I don't understand is the one above. Would you please explain it further?

Thank you very much for your kind help.
nacredambition

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2019 05:48 am
@paok1970,
Did you click on my link explaining when you don't need to use "the"?

Thank you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2019 06:42 am
@paok1970,
Liverpool players won't be limited to the squad who played on the night. I'm sure plenty of retired players, and those who weren't actually playing joined in the singing.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2019 06:44 am
@paok1970,
What I mean is that the Champions League final is such a big event that anyone who knows anything about football will be watching the youtube video fully aware of what's going on.

Let's face is anyone going to look for that video who's not into football?
paok1970

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2019 07:02 am
@izzythepush,
Did you enjoy the final? After all, it was about English football!
izzythepush

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2019 09:02 am
@paok1970,
I didn't watch it. Can't stand Liverpool or Spurs they stole our best players and manager.
0 Replies