A strange alliance

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 01:16 pm
http://www.arena2045.net/fritz/the_don.jpg

This is a picture of our pet duck.
We call her The Don (we didn't know she was a she when we named her).
We found her wandering around our yard Easter Sunday and she has been hanging around ever since. We think she was supposed to be somebodies dinner.

She likes to hang out with a rabbit that comes around (I haven't been able to get a picture of him) as well as the neighbors cat who, for some reason likes us a lot more then his own house.

The duck chases away the other birds. The cat chases mice. The rabbit just sits there and eats the carrots we feed him. The three of them make quite a trio.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,320 • Replies: 4
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 02:55 pm
Wow!

Get a picture of all three if you can.

Weird-looking duck!

How do you know she's a she now? (Dare I ask...)
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 03:06 pm
sozobe wrote:
Wow!

Get a picture of all three if you can.

I've been trying to get all three... but that rascally rabbit bolts pretty fast once he sees me coming.

sozobe wrote:
Weird-looking duck!

How do you know she's a she now? (Dare I ask...)

Did a little research. I checked out the birds of North America book and didn't see her in there. Being in a largely hispanic neighborhood I decided to check out birds of South America. Turns out it is a Muscovy Duck. I guess they are good meat ducks (which is why we thought she might be an escapee from easter dinner).

We think she is a she because the males grow these ugly "warts" around their eyes. Check out the ninth picture down on the link I provided to see what I mean.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 04:08 pm
I that is a duck, then by definition, The Don is a she. Were The Don male, he would be a drake.
0 Replies

Poodlz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 03:43 pm
This is too funny! It reminds me of a local petshop: they had a blue and yellow macaw. They thought it was male, so they called it "Albert." Then it turned out to be female, but they still left its name "Albert." I do declare that bird probably had a identity crisis! Very Happy
0 Replies