My crazy quilt garden.

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:32 pm
I am not a serious gardener but I thought it would be fun for Mo and I to have a project and so last fall we put in some garden beds and this year we've been planting them.

Seeds are so inexpensive and garden success is not a huge deal to me, I just let Mo have at it. He scattered seeds for who knows what who knows where. Our intent was fun and that's what we had.

The problem?

Everything is sprouting and weeds are sprouting too!

Since I don't have any gardening experience I sometimes can't tell what is weed and what is not.

All of the gardening books I have show illustrations of mature plants. I need to identify baby plants. I really don't want to spend a lot of time caring for and cultivating weeds!

One type of plant is sprouting harem-scarum around my yard might be lavender or it might be.... I don't know what.

Any tips, tricks, anything that might help me know what's what will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,118 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:41 pm
Does it matter?

Do you have plants which might be dangerous? If not, let it go. A weed is simply a plant that isn't where you want it to be, so feel free to enjoy them all.

Don't worry about 'cultivating' anything either. If it's not going to survive, you don't need it in your garden.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:45 pm
That is great advice, eBeth, as it certainly fits in with the spirit of our endevor!

The one problem with the maybe-lavender is that a lot of it is coming up in areas that will eventually be patio and I'd like to move it somewhere it can survive.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:48 pm
<nodding>

so the maybe-lavender is a weed by the definition of something not in the right spot. does it have nice leaves? dig up half of it, and plop it in somewhere that's better for you - leave the rest to be removed when patio-building activity starts. if it is lavender, the bit you move should multiply on its own to replace the bit you sacrifice to the gods of building.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:56 pm
I like the way you think!

That is an excellent idea.

I thought it would be silly to move the plants around if they were indeed weeds but whatever is growing is not unattactive so I will put some where it can grow and see what happens.

Thank you!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:57 pm
As far as lavender goes, even very young lavender plants (with just the seed leaves) smells like lavender. Traditionally lavender was grown in a low hedge along a walkways so that the scent would be released when pedestrians brushed against the leaves.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 01:06 pm
mrs. hamburger grows some lavender (i'm not sure if it's the english or french, which behave very differently) that doesn't release much scent unless you get pretty aggressive with it.

pretty leaves? give it a chance Very Happy

boomer, i've got a slightly (?) non-traditional approach to gardening - I think you and mo and I could happily garden together. well, and noddy too - she's a wild thing. :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 01:12 pm
lavender choices

i had no idea there were so many variants available

http://www.papagenos.com/plantdb/plants.asp?catid=6

(lots of leaf illustrations)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:20 pm
Hey! I think it is lavender!

Thanks for the link - my plant resembles a few of those plants.

I tried crushing a leaf to see if I could smell it, and couldn't. Given that the cottonwood trees are starting to shed, I can't smell much of anything right now though.

We do have a few areas that we planted with a little more care and still have some sprouts in peat-pots for transplanting when they get a bit bigger but I must say Mo's pea/carrot/corn/sunflower/poppy? combination is my favorite area of the garden. It's such a riot of growth that it just says "Mo".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:54 pm
Aw, that sounds so cool.

I had the same question and just today got a thing put out by Roundup for free (they want you to use their products to zap weeds) that looks super useful. It was free, just at the counter of the hardware store.

E.G. has lots of allergies (ragweed, etc.) and while I don't mind all weeds, at all, I do like to just know WHAT they are and then decide to keep 'em or not.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:57 pm
ehBeth--

I'm glad you noticed that I am a woman of barely banked fires, a-smouldering with passion. You and Boomer and Mo do the digging and I'll dispense iced tea or mint juleps or hot chocolate according to demand.

Boomer--

I just realized how much Mo wants his blood family to admire his prowess in and ownership of his yard/garden/turf. Unlike Adam he's returned to the Garden of Eden and you are a feminine version of St. Michael with a flaming sword, barring the way to invaders.

St. Michael still deserves Mother's Day cards.

I'm reading Anne Lamott's Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith. Her Mo boy is named "Sam". I think you have a lot in common. By the by, Sam is her blood child--and the most delightful child in her world--and there are times she wants to slaughter him.

One reason for planting in rows is that it makes weeding easier--but life much less exciting.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 05:27 pm
GOOD GOLLY MS. MOLLY!

We went out to transplant some of this stuff and dug up an earthworm that was easily a foot long and as fat as my finger! It was the biggest worm I have ever seen.

I did read about a three foot earthworm that someone dug up around here recently. They put it in an aquarium and charged 50 cents for a look.

I will let all of you see "Sherman" free just for the chance of digging up Noddy's yard, Mint Julips and conversation. What a happy thought to carry around.

I love that analogy Noddy. You always know how to cheer me. Mo does love his garden and he is proud of his work and he does love to show it off.

I'm going to hit the bookstore for "Plan B". That would be a good title for this chapter of my life.

Soz, I do know what you mean about the wanting to know. I wanted to know until eBeth convinced me that perhaps this didn't need to be a pressing issue. Mo's been so allergy addled lately that I should try to figure out what is causing it but it could be weeds, or flowers, or plants, or anything really and I can't mow down the world.

So.

We went out and dug some of this stuff up. There was a ton of it which really makes me suspect lavender as four bags of seeds were scattered someday somewhere. I transplanted it off into a Noddyboarder (in honor of her suggestion of pant-swipe aromas (at the end of the day, we could all use a better smell around here)).

Now we shall see what we shall grow.

Who knew a thread about weeds could grow an orchid in my brain?

Thank you!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 10:41 am
Useful facts on Lavender:

http://www.theherbaltouch.com/articles/lavender.html

Remember: Sachets for Christmas presents--start keeping an eye out for pretty little bags for Mo to stuff.

Lavender has a reputation as a soothing herb--a mild tranquilizer. You can sniff lavender springs, sip lavender tea and put it in your bath water--or your salads.

Will four bags of seeds be enough?

Thanks for the kind words, Boomer.
0 Replies

A-glow

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 01:51 pm
boomerrang,
You might have dug up a night crawler.
When I lived in the south, I could dig them up almost anywhere in my property- (couple of acres). Incidentally it was very rich soil.

I enjoy gardening (mostly flowers and shrubs) but do not see much sharing of information in this forum.
Is there any other gardening forum?
I am reading - guess that is what I should do.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 02:25 pm
Hi A-glow and welcome to A2K.

A night crawler, huh? Is that the name of a really big earthworm or is it something else entirely?

There are many very good gardeners on A2K. They just go easy on me since they know I'm a novice. I'm sure if you poke into some old threads or start some new ones you'll be impressed with the knowledge people here are willing to share. And we're always looking for someone new to learn from, too!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 05:00 pm
I think your garden sounds lovely, Boomer. Just the thing to make a boy proud. The memory will stay with him forever and, who knows, maybe he'll develop a life-long love a growing things.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 06:29 pm
I can't swear to it but I remember reading that the northwestern US had some really monster worms.

Just Googled: "Earthworms. Oregon."

http://www.cnr.usu.edu/faculty/drosenberg/earthworm.html

Perhaps you should treat the critter very carefully.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 10:07 am
Thanks, J_B. It is a cool garden!

That is very cool about the giant earthworms. I had no idea. I told Mo that we had found a grandpa earthworm but maybe it was a giant baby earthworm.

We did return "Sherman" to the wild. I hope he continues to grow and prosper but now I wish I had taken his picture!
0 Replies