Opening a new Tattoo Studio... (again) I need a catchy name.

jeff s

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 01:13 am
Hi everyone. I just became a member on this site, and what I need some help, or advice with is the name for a new tattoo studo that I'm opening hopefully by next Saturday. My brain seems to be taxed with this one. I hope that I am even in the right area to post this query. But, I still need a name and I need one that is both meaningful and catchy. An example would be: "Smoking Guns", or "Blazing Guns", or something of that nature. Now, being new to this site, I still don't know alot of what is what with the rules (and yes, I did read them) regarding an offer such as if I would be allowed to offer a piece of artwork Such as a original hand drawn pin-up, for example as an incentive to get real creative..
My sincere thanks to all who take the time to respond to this. Jeff
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 117,052 • Replies: 63
No top replies

material girl

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:12 am
Can you give us your full name and maybe some interests too?
Are you into the gun culture?I get a cowboy feeling from the names youve suggested.
Can you give a bit more info for inspiration.
jeff s

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:43 pm
reply to material girl
first of all, i thank you for your reply. secondly, the "guns" that i am making reference to are tattoo machines, or "guns". a lot of people call them guns, and although i still prefer to call them machines, they actually are just a glorified door-bell buzzer, modified to effect a tattoo. i personally am NOT into firearms, which i call weapons of mass destruction. no pun intended. the tattoo studio that i am now building and hope to open in about a week is going to be privately owned and operated by myself (i have been in the tattoo biz for 26 years now professionally, and have been body piercing for about 11 years) is part of a larger store, a smoke-shop to be exact, the name of that shop being: "UP IN SMOKE". what i was hoping to do was to come up with a catch-phrase that blended well with that. i am not a cowboy, although i tattoo a few of them when the rodeo is in town. i live and work in las vegas, nevada. usa. my hobbies and special interests include drawing, i love to draw and paint classic and contemporary pin-up girls. and i am raising 3 generations of chihuahua's; Girlie, her dad and his dad, the grandpa. they are such wonderful companions, and their love is always unconditional. again thank you for your inquiry. i would like to post my e-mail if it is within the t.o.s. as i said, i am still learning the ropes of this site, so sorry if it gets edited out.... but here goes: send e-mail to "[email protected]". thanks all, and to those in the U.K. cheers, jeff
jeff s

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:50 pm
Re: reply to material girl
jeff s wrote:
first of all, i thank you for your reply. secondly, the "guns" that i am making reference to are tattoo machines, or "guns". a lot of people call them guns, and although i still prefer to call them machines, they actually are just a glorified door-bell buzzer, modified to effect a tattoo. i personally am NOT into firearms, which i call weapons of mass destruction. no pun intended. the tattoo studio that i am now building and hope to open in about a week is going to be privately owned and operated by myself (i have been in the tattoo biz for 26 years now professionally, and have been body piercing for about 11 years) is part of a larger store, a smoke-shop to be exact, the name of that shop being: "UP IN SMOKE". what i was hoping to do was to come up with a catch-phrase that blended well with that. i am not a cowboy, although i tattoo a few of them when the rodeo is in town. i live and work in las vegas, nevada. usa. my hobbies and special interests include drawing, i love to draw and paint classic and contemporary pin-up girls. and i am raising 3 generations of chihuahua's; Girlie, her dad and his dad, the grandpa. they are such wonderful companions, and their love is always unconditional. again thank you for your inquiry. i would like to post my e-mail if it is within the t.o.s. as i said, i am still learning the ropes of this site, so sorry if it gets edited out.... but here goes: send e-mail to "[email protected]". thanks all, and to those in the U.K. cheers, jeff
my personal quote, or motto is: "IF YOUR TATTOOS ARE NOT BECOMING TO YOU... THEN MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE COMING TO ME".
material girl

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:20 am
Nice quote.

I love Vargas and his 50's pin up girls, they are so classy.None of your 'Pamela Anderson in ya face' types going on there!

I have my tongue pierced, you sound alot more gentlemanly than the place I went to, they all looked and acted like bikers!!

I shall rack my brains today for a name for your shop
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:54 am
Thinking.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:59 am
Ink Inc.

Symbos

Gryphon Studios

Hellastic Tattoo and Coffee

Living Ink Tattoo

Tattoo At You

Epidimage

Skin Deep Studios

Epic Life Designs

Mobile Eye Tattoo

Jeff's Tattoo Parlor

34th Street Ink (or whatever the street name is)

Consider having "Tattoo" in the business name, so people can find it easily by searching YellowPages.com.
That *might* double your business.

Also, is there a personal style or focus that especially defines how your business is different from others?

Also, is there any other business involved - body piercing, magazines, bookshop, novelty store, head shop, art gallery, community center, health food, herbs, astrology, weapons, ... ?

That would help narrow down your own theme.

If you're serious about building a career, the business name is not as important as your reputation. After a few years, people get to know who the best artists are around town, and who keeps a clean shop, so any non-embarassing name will do.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 03:19 am
Blimey there is so much to consider!!Forgot about incorporating piercing in to the title too, tho I think people usually relate tattooing to other body decoration too.

Jeff Ive sent you an email with an idea, let me know if you get it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 05:50 am
Rat-a-tat-Tats.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:08 pm
I want to listen in and hear what you come up with, Jeff. I'm not really good at this type of thing. It took me several months to name my pets.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 10:38 pm
He won't have pm privilages yet material girl. Did you send him an email address?

How about "Color Yourself Colored", or something like that.

"Picture Yourself Pictured" maybe.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 10:44 pm
You said that you like to do pin-up girl art. Not sure that a name with guns in it would get the message about the kind of art you like to do.

What artists do you follow in terms of ink, jeff?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:00 am
SoulsKin

Up in Arms

Hold On Tattoo

Graphic Stand

Solo Ink

Your Mom Hates Us

Forbearance

Magnitude

Several Guys With Needles

Publicus Amicus

Soliloquey

Expressious

You Say We
(Tattoo and You)

Severealities

Free Whiskey Tattoo Parlor

Animorphicus

50 Dollars for Eternity

Charlie Doesn't Surf

Colorized

Why do people buy tattoos? Why? Why? Seriously . . . why?
moondoggy

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:29 am
this looks like a good thesis distraction...

Skindeep
Tattoo You (was that a stones album?)
Tattoo Me
um...
Skin City
Nearly Tempory Tattoos
Team Tattoo (...puke)
Feel The Steel
Screaming Demon Ink
Body Image(s)
Under The Gun
Skinscapes
Skin Pricks
Livin' Skin
Needle Inc
Soreskin
Tattoo Shop
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:41 am
Re: reply to material girl
jeff s wrote:
...is part of a larger store, a smoke-shop to be exact, the name of that shop being: "UP IN SMOKE". what i was hoping to do was to come up with a catch-phrase that blended well with that.

How about, "The Smoking Gun"?

General Tsao
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:45 am
CodeBorg wrote:
Why do people buy tattoos? Why? Why? Seriously . . . why?

cuz we like them
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:59 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Rat-a-tat-Tats.

Didn't Captain Kangaroo have a cartoon called "Rat-a-tat-tat, the Dancing Cat"?

I can still remember the song.

Or maybe I've lost my mind.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 10:34 am
Up In Smoke

with

Arsonist Ink?
Phoenix?
Light My Fire?
boomerang

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 10:38 am
Blaze of Glory?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 10:41 am
I was thinking about this a bit more.
What kind of market are you interested in bringing in, Jeff?

The folks who pay $500+ and have specific types of art they're interested in, or the $50 Tasmanian Devil fans?

They're going to be looking for different types of shops - with a different style of name.
0 Replies