8
   

Facebook banned me for talking about religion vs facts

 
 
Reply Tue 14 May, 2019 02:10 pm
I posted my opinion on religion vs facts/science, and they banned me. It's not about "hate speech" or making threats against anyone. I banned facebook from my favorites.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 477 • Replies: 33
No top replies

 
maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Tue 14 May, 2019 02:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I am curious... what exactly did you say? I personally don't think Facebook should be banning anyone who isn't making direct threats or unquestionable calls for violence.

Facebook never banned anything of mine... I feel a little jealous.

cicerone imposter
 
  2  
Reply Tue 14 May, 2019 05:19 pm
@maxdancona,
It was about my opinion about the religion of Christianity; that it's strangeness that a god would appear only 2,000 years ago while Homo sapiens according to science, evolved from primates, and have walked this planet for some 200,000 years. I opined that the christian god was a late-comer on the scene of human events, and what happens to all those who existed before his time? Men have created thousands of gods. The christian god resembles Greek and Egyptian mythologies. Also, I had a question about aging in heaven. Do people age, or stay the same age forever? Just some curiosities that I felt that needed some answers. All my siblings are christians, and my sister continues to try to convert me knowing I'm an atheist. God has all the answers, according to her.
Jewels Vern
 
  0  
Reply Tue 14 May, 2019 07:54 pm
That's about like saying the city dump banned you for dumping there.
0 Replies
 
fresco
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 12:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
As a fellow atheist I would advise you that the lay concept of 'facts' is philosophically problematic. (historically resulting in the rise of Philosophical Pragmatism). It is easy to offend individuals whose self integrity is based on their belief in the 'facticity of God'. Note that atheism in some parts of the world attracts a death sentence !
maxdancona
 
  2  
Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 01:17 pm
What do you think about Alex Jones getting banned?

If we allow Facebook to ban people, it is a little hard to justify complaining when people we like get banned
0 Replies
 
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 01:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It was about my opinion about the religion of Christianity; that it's strangeness that a god would appear only 2,000 years ago while Homo sapiens according to science, evolved from primates, and have walked this planet for some 200,000 years. I opined that the christian god was a late-comer on the scene of human events, and what happens to all those who existed before his time? Men have created thousands of gods. The christian god resembles Greek and Egyptian mythologies. Also, I had a question about aging in heaven. Do people age, or stay the same age forever? Just some curiosities that I felt that needed some answers. All my siblings are christians, and my sister continues to try to convert me knowing I'm an atheist. God has all the answers, according to her.


Hmm do you happen to have the message from facebook banning you as it might be interesting and fun to turn such a message over to the following.

Quote:
American Atheists
https://www.atheists.org/
American Atheists fights to protect the absolute separation of religion from government and works to elevate atheists and atheism in the public discourse.
BillRM
 
  2  
Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 01:51 pm
More information........

Quote:

https://observer.com/2017/05/facebook-atheist-ex-muslim-blocked/

It’s been a tough year for Facebook—the site was accused of spreading fake news during the election, and it’s also had to deal with an epidemic of people using Facebook Live to stream their suicides.

Now it’s time to add another problem to the list: the site is blocking posts from atheist groups.

A group of “atheists, secularists and ex-Muslims” has accused Facebook of not providing any tools or mechanisms to stop coordinated reporting and flagging campaign on their pages starting Monday.

Atheist Republic (1.6 million likes), Ex-Muslims of North America (24,000 members) and 10 other groups which are affiliated with nonprofit atheist organizations were temporarily blocked from the site.

Facebook allegedly unpublished these pages and blocked posts from appearing in News Feeds for a week because the pages violated the site’s terms of service. The site did not specify which standards were violated; however, Facebook’s community standards state that if enough people flag a page it will be taken down automatically.

All of the pages were eventually brought back online, but it appears the attackers were exploiting Facebook to specifically target atheist groups.

Allie Jackson, CEO of Atheist Republic, told the Observer that her page was restricted and unpublished without any notice—this was the first time Atheist Republic has been shut down, though individual posts have been removed before. The group filed several appeals and reached out to members with connections at Facebook, but people at the organization were reluctant to talk.

Unlike the other affected pages, Atheist Republic was actually subjected to repeated attacks. At one point it was shut down for 15 hours—it is back online for now.

“We got messages from anti-Muslim groups saying ‘Your page is back up, I guess we’re gonna have to take you down again,” Jackson said. “I wondered: who is we?”

It turns out there are many groups on Facebook solely dedicated to reporting anti-Islamic activity on the social network. Most of them are restricted so the average Facebook user doesn’t know about them, but some groups have over 500,000 members.


Some Facebook groups want to weed out anti-Islam pages. Facebook
Jackson actually joined one of these groups to keep an eye on it, and discovered that members pull stunts like screenshotting a photo of a woman on the beach without a hijab and then linking to Facebook’s “Report Something” page.

On Wednesday Atheist Republic, along with nearly 40 secular and atheist organizations, sent a letter to Facebook asking it to improve its reporting system to protect “vulnerable groups.”

“The greater the persecution faced by the group, the more vital the online connectivity and activism,” the letter reads. “The same social media which empowers religious minorities is susceptible to abuse by religious fundamentalists to enforce what are essentially the equivalent of online blasphemy laws.”

The organizations want Facebook to create a whitelist for groups and pages which are vulnerable to malicious attacks. They also ask that reports and flags aimed at these groups should be handled by a human Facebook employee instead of a bot. Finally, they request that Facebook penalize individual accounts and groups which repeatedly abuse its reporting system.

This is particularly important for ex-Muslims—apostates in Muslim countries are subject to imprisonment and even death because of their views. In fact, one report found that Facebook removes 85 percent of “blasphemous” anti-Islam posts under pressure from the Pakistani government.

Muhammad Syed, president of Ex-Muslims of North America, told the Observer that when he logged on to the group’s account Monday morning he was notified that it had been flagged as spam—no details were provided.

While this was the first time the group’s Facebook page was hacked, he said that he had “routine encounters” with anti-atheist Facebook pages.

Syed has started a Change.org petition in partnership with Atheist Republic, urging Facebook to “prevent religious extremists from censoring atheists and secularists.” It already has over 8,000 signatures.

The petition includes screenshots of Atheist Republic’s tongue in cheek interactions with Muslim reporting groups.


Always be polite to trolls! Facebook
“We try to be as nice as possible, even when we’re getting death threats or being told we’re going to hell,” Jackson said.

Both Syed and Jackson said their mission was about more than just their individual Facebook pages.

“We want to stop this long term,” Syed said. “Once you feel empowered and not alone, you start pushing for change. That change is badly needed in the Muslim world.”

“Most of these people are being thrown out of their homes or threatened with murder,” Jackson added. “We’re there for them. We’re not just a page that posts memes, we talk people off of cliffs.”

A Facebook spokesperson said the company was “very sorry” about the mistake in an email to the Observer.

“The pages were removed in error and restored as soon as we were able to investigate,” the statement read. “Our team processes millions of reports each week, and we sometimes get things wrong.”

Filed Under: Business, Technology, News, Facebook, Fake News, Change, Open Letter, News Feed, Atheist
SEE ALSO: Mark Zuckerberg’s College Roommate Has the Most Thorough Diagnosis of Facebook
MUST READS
0 Replies
 
maxdancona
 
  2  
Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 02:17 pm
I am going to push the issue... because I think this thread has a smell of hypocrisy. If you are saying Facebook shouldn't be banning anyone, I agree with you. I don't agre if you are saying:

Facebook should ban people who disagree with me, but they better not ban anyone who agrees with me.

If you are going to allow Facebook to arbitrarily ban people, you run the risk of being banned. I don't see anyone really supporting free speech here.
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 03:03 pm
@fresco,
I'm not advocating for the overthrow of any religion or god(s). I'm trying to make sense of human behavior and beliefs from a layman's pov strictly for self-enlightenment.
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 03:07 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM, I belong to no atheist organizations, nor do I care to belong in any such organization. I have personal interest in philosophy, and understand those of religion, because all my siblings are christians. My wife is buddhist, and I'm an atheist. Although I instructed my children to attend church (buddhist) with their mother, they made their own choice in whether to continue going to church or not when they became adults.
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 03:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm not advocating for the overthrow of any religion or god(s). I'm trying to make sense of human behavior and beliefs from a layman's pov strictly for self-enlightenment.


How do you overthrow a god even a small god let alone the Christian all knowing and all powerful god?

An given the large percent of the human race that is completely irrational overturning a religion is almost as hard as overturning a god.

It Thomas Paine and his book "The age of reason' could not do it I question if any of our postings on facebook or anywhere else will do so.
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 03:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

BillRM, I belong to no atheist organizations, nor do I care to belong in any such organization. I have personal interest in philosophy, and understand those of religion, because all my siblings are christians. My wife is buddhist, and I'm an atheist. Although I instructed my children to attend church (buddhist) with their mother, they made their own choice in whether to continue going to church or not when they became adults.


LOL I am not a member of any religion or non-religion association myself but for the ACLU for a short period as I am not a joiner.

Still if there are people gaming the facebook system I see no reason not to hand over the problem to a group that might had the power to stop the gaming being a member of not.

Next I was a full blown atheist at the age of ten and you would had been facing a real problem forcing me to go to any church long before I reach adult age.
0 Replies
 
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 03:34 pm
@BillRM,
There is no way to "overthrow" any god, but it seems that worldwide, christianity is beginning to show a decrease, and others are increasing.
maporsche
 
  2  
Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 07:29 pm
It’s more likely you forgot your password. I see you posting on Facebook now CI.
0 Replies
 
MyParentsAreProud
 
  1  
Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 12:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If facebook can ban Trump supporters for no reason, it is only fair that they ban Jesus haters as well.
dylanjohn
 
  0  
Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 12:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I have no idea about this, but from now I am going to dig the actual fact and came back to you very soon.
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 03:48 pm
@dylanjohn,
Quote:

@cicerone imposter,
I have no idea about this, but from now I am going to dig the actual fact and came back to you very soon.
Yes, please do that and let us know what you find. I'm curious too!
0 Replies
 
BillRM
 
  1  
Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 09:21 pm
@MyParentsAreProud,
MyParentsAreProud wrote:

If facebook can ban Trump supporters for no reason, it is only fair that they ban Jesus haters as well.


Next they will be banning the haters of the tooth fairy.
0 Replies
 
BillRM
 
  2  
Reply Thu 16 May, 2019 09:26 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am going to push the issue... because I think this thread has a smell of hypocrisy. If you are saying Facebook shouldn't be banning anyone, I agree with you. I don't agre if you are saying:

Facebook should ban people who disagree with me, but they better not ban anyone who agrees with me.

If you are going to allow Facebook to arbitrarily ban people, you run the risk of being banned. I don't see anyone really supporting free speech here.



Free speech on a private network?
 

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Facebook banned me for talking about religion vs facts
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/26/2019 at 01:15:28