'Miami Vice'-actor caught with 5 billion $ in his car.

frolic

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 07:55 am
Actor Don Johnson has described reports that he is involved in a money laundering ring as "farcical".

The 53-year-old, who rose to fame in 1980s TV hit Miami Vice, said there was "no truth" in the reports and said they had already caused him "irreparable damage".

German authorities said on Wednesday they were investigating documents, reportedly detailing transactions worth £5 billion, which were found in his car during a routine check at a Swiss border crossing.

But customs spokesman Wolfgang Schmitz said it was not a criminal investigation and there had been no indication of any wrong-doing.

I am not going to sit idly back and be slandered and accused of things that are beneath my character

"They have taken a routine incident and blown it up into this money-laundering ring that supposedly I am involved in, and it has caused me unbelievable difficulty."

He said he would fight the claims, adding: "The gloves are off."

Johnson said: "I have had two bank accounts closed. I'm in a new partnership in an investment business and both of those bank accounts were closed today as a result of this story."

He said his car was stopped after a meeting in Zurich with some business associates about a film financing project.

"They gave me some bank statements, some resumes, stuff like that to show they could perform as investors," he added.

Customs staff had asked to photocopy the documents, and Johnson said he agreed, chatted and signed autographs for them before going on his way.

He said he had not been contacted by authorities in the US or Germany regarding the matter, and was now hiring a legal team in Germany.

But Johnson added: "I don't know that I will ever be able to clear my reputation and regain my credibility.

"It makes it very difficult for people to do business with you because the perception is there that one time you were involved in something shady.

"The only thing I can do is deny these charges, show there is no truth in them and let people know I am not going to sit idly back and be slandered and accused of things that are beneath my character."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,125 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 08:17 am
Well, yeah, why would anybody think £5 billion was anything out of the ordinary.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 12:14 am
It was $8 billion, but whats a billion here or there.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 12:20 am
£5 billion - $8 billion. Either way, it must have been in quite large bills, or he had a very large trunk.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 12:28 am
He has an extra large trunk for his ego, but it takes up a lot of room.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:22 am
Talking about this on another thread. So, does his story sound funky to you? We are talking billions, right?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 02:38 am
It was funny to see him squirming on Larry King tonight, but I didn't pay much attention. I didn't catch where the 5-8 billion number came from.
0 Replies