When I think of intelligent design, I think of . . .

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:54 am
My sons obsession with Dungeons and Dragons.

Let me back up a bit. When I was a student in a Catholic elementary school, someone asked whether there are angels. The nun replied that when you look at all of creation, you can graph life from the simplest of single cell organisms through man. However, there is a big gap between man and god. Since there is such a range of complexity in life on earth, why not posit the existence of angels to fill the gap between man and god and make that part of the graph more like our graph of the complexity of life on earth?

Now, should anyone not know, Dungeons and Dragons is a game in which the players assume various roles, according to the situation created by the Dungeon Master (actually, the chief story teller). The game involves throwing dice to help the players determine their actions.

So, let's combine the two.

Suppose earth is a giant game of D&D, as its fans call it, and the players are superior, but not necessarily divine, beings who are playing with all of the animals (including man, of course) and resources of this planet.

That explains the unjust things -- like slavery and most wars -- as well as the stupid things -- drilling in the ANWAR and our debate over creationism v. evolution -- that man (un)kind is prone to. It's all just a roll of the dice!

What do you think? Wouldn't it be fun and funny if our intelligent designer was just a group of grand scale, D&D addicted teenagers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 666 • Replies: 1
No top replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:30 am
A roll of the dice . . . accounts for the social darwinism.

The randomness of the stupid things that people mess up, deviously or obliviously, with the same intelligence as a pair of dice. At least then, the human race doesn't have to be as embarassed about what it's done.

I hope the angels have a big enough game, with room for error
to safely play, explore and experiment (for a few more years anyways).
0 Replies