Noise coming from subwoofer(home)

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 04:49 pm
I've got an Infinity sub in my room, bought it new maybe a little over a year ago.

Anyway, I notice when watching tv or movies, sometimes it makes a noise that sounds like(I know it's hard to describe online), close to what wind sounds like outside your window...or a soft rumbling sound. It comes and goes, so it'll make the noise quickly, sometimes longer than others. Not constant, and doesn't happen while listening to cd's.

If I turn the gain down, it goes away, but then it's not producing enough bass. And if it makes a difference, it's hooked up to a Harmon Kardon Pro-Logic receiver.

Any audiophiles know what could be causing this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,535 • Replies: 9
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 04:51 pm
It sounds like a personal problem.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 04:57 pm
Nah, you're thinking of my ass-herpes.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 04:59 pm
The sub is probbaly totally cut out when you are listening to anything that doesn't use the surroiund -
sound system of the receiver. That would explain why you don't get it on CDs.

Mine does that same sort of thing on some TV programs and I had just attributed it to some lower frequency background noice in the program. Mine isn't all that noticable though. I just stuck my ear next to the sub and I get it even watching the network evening news broadcast.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 05:00 pm
I was staring out the window the other day, a far-off look in my eyes, and Gertrude snuggled up behind me and said, "Whatcha thinking about, Gus?"

"Slappy's ass-herpes", I replied, as I continued to sip my coffee.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 05:02 pm
I had a similar problem with my a eehh , sub-woofer, and what I did was push the bass, without dvd or cd, just power, way over so it got back to lo-gain, and then go back up till I got the bass that my ass likes.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 05:13 pm
Fishin, it's not on surround when I listen to cd's, it's on stereo. When I watch a DVD, it's on surround, and if the gain is up enough, it makes the sound during quiet parts of the movie.

Bigdice, that's what I've been doing. I'll turn it down when watching TV, and back up when putting music on, or a movie with a lot of bass.

There's gotta be something causing it though, none of the equipment I have is cheap, so I'm sure it's not normal.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 05:14 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I was staring out the window the other day, a far-off look in my eyes, and Gertrude snuggled up behind me and said, "Whatcha thinking about, Gus?"

"Slappy's ass-herpes", I replied, as I continued to sip my coffee.

Maybe that's why my ear starting burning the other day.

Unless...my ass herpes has spread??
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:52 pm
Random ideas:

If it's electrical interference,
keep all signal cords separate from the power cords,
and certainly away from any transformers, appliances, or flourescent lights.

It using cheap (or long) signal cables, consider getting shielded cables.

The next time it happens from DVD, go unplug the sound cable from the DVD player. If the wind noise stops then obviously the sound was generated at the DVD player itself, rather than a short/interference in the receiver, amp, cables, or subwoofer.

Also, check for a setting on the subwoofer for a crossover frequency. Mess with turning the crossover on or off, higher frequency or lower frequency.

If the noise is kind of a pure tone (like a bass playing a note way down low at exactly 60Hz) then you know it has something to do with 60Hz AC power getting into the signal line somewhere.

If the wind noise is consistently starting and stopping at exactly the same place in the movie (it's reproducable!) then you know it's in the DVD, or how your system responds to that particular DVD. If another receiver or player is available, try swapping it out to see if that part of the movie changes.

Some 5.1 surround-systems have an "audio test" mode where it will send white noise to each speaker in turn. It sounds like a waterfall, first a high-pitch ssshhhhh from the smaller speakers, then a low-pitch SSSHHHH from each full-range speaker and subwoofer. If your systems has that option, is your wind noise exactly the same, or just similar to, that?

Some 5.1 receivers let you configure the size of each speaker. If the front corner speakers are set to "small", only the high frequencies are sent there. If they are "full-sized/large", then all frequencies are sent there.
The center channel might also be configured the same way. However, the signal being sent to the subwoofer will change a LOT depending on which mode the other speakers are set to! If you have those settings available, does the wind noise change when you change the setting?

Good luck with the herpes though.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 07:09 pm
Thanks codeborg, great input...I'll play around with your suggestions.
0 Replies