Cat5 phone/data installation

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 03:23 pm
Hey all. My building was completely re-wired with new Cat5 phone line to all 5 units. When I moved in, I ran $14 Home Depot special 4-conductor phone cord over to my desk. Now that I have DSL and want to move the desk I figure I should do it right this time; you know, not twist wires together with duct tape Smile

-Is Cat5 and LAN cord the same stuff with different connectors?
-Do I just use two of the conductors and leave the others unhooked?
-Can I improve the signal by using two conductors for one post, or will I have synch problems with DSL?
-How do I connect wires together without breaking them? Solder? special crimp connectors?

I have about 200' of blue Cat5 that I bought at a yard sale and it has LAN style connectors on it. Do I just cut and go?

Any help you can offer is great since I'm a little bit like a fish with a bicycle here. I'm a contractor and I'm fine with electrical, but phone stuff has always puzzled me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,372 • Replies: 4
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 03:50 pm
Re: Cat5 phone/data installation
curtis73 wrote:
-Is Cat5 and LAN cord the same stuff with different connectors?

Network cable is identified as anything between CAT 1 and CAT 10. CAT 3 and CAT 5 are the most common although CAT 5e is gaining more and more steam. You'd have to check your cable and see what level it's rated at.

Quote:
-Do I just use two of the conductors and leave the others unhooked?

No. Network (10-base-T) wiring uses 8 conductors (although 4 usually aren't actually used the standard requires that they be present and some hardware WILL need them!). You'll also need to figure out if your current wiring follow the TIA-568A or TIA-566B standard.
http://www.aptcommunications.com/ncode.htm

Quote:
-Can I improve the signal by using two conductors for one post, or will I have synch problems with DSL?

No. In fact you will most likely introduce MORE problems if you double up the wires.

Quote:
-How do I connect wires together without breaking them? Solder? special crimp connectors?

You go to Radio Shack or other similar type of store and you buy an RJ-45 crimping tool.

Quote:

I have about 200' of blue Cat5 that I bought at a yard sale and it has LAN style connectors on it. Do I just cut and go?

The color doesn't really mean a whole lot in your type of an application. What you should check though is if the cable is "Plenum rated" or not. If it isn't you can't use it through air ducts or above suspended ceilings.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 04:05 pm
Re: Cat5 phone/data installation
fishin' wrote:
Network (10-base-T) wiring uses 8 conductors (although 4 usually aren't actually used the standard requires that they be present and some hardware WILL need them!). You'll also need to figure out if your current wiring follow the TIA-568A or TIA-566B standard.
http://www.aptcommunications.com/ncode.htm

The color doesn't really mean a whole lot in your type of an application. What you should check though is if the cable is "Plenum rated" or not. If it isn't you can't use it through air ducts or above suspended ceilings.

Great info, thanks. I should have clarified something. I'm using the Cat5 as phone line, not network. I primarily use a wireless router for the DSL, so the Cat5 just has to supply phone service to my desk. I'll be running the wire above some exposed rafters in a loft; if its not plenum rated, should I avoid electrical conduit?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 04:12 pm
Electrical conduit isn't the issue. Plenum rated cable is designed so that if a fire breaks out in a plenum (air duct) it won't add toxic chemicals to the air being supplied by the plenum. It doesn't sound like that should be a concern in your case. Wink
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 04:26 pm
Ah, I get it. So should I just match up with cable colors that come into my jack in the loft and continue along my merry way? Then match up those same colors/positions at the new jack?

Thanks for all your help
0 Replies