salt, sugar, the white poison

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 03:26 am
Hi, I was with a friend of mine, and we were talking about foods in

general. He asked me what do they ( I don't know who they are ?!, probably scientists) call sugar,

and salt? The truth was I didn't know the answer.I asked what?, he said the

white poison. Hmm, maybe I don't read much, but that was new to me.

Can somebody explains why do they call them ( sugar, and salt ) the white

poison?, and is this true ? I mean the name thingy.

Isn't the posion white in colour ?!

Thanks Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,815 • Replies: 15
No top replies

raprap

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 03:49 am
Table salt has been called a White Poison

I don't know about sugar, other than it too is a white crystal that is soluble in water.

Rap
0 Replies

Red888

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 04:05 am
I have no clue about Salt and Suger but Milk has to do with white poison although it sounds dodgy to me. If we were made aware of all the bad things that a food could do to you, we would never at anything.

Chemically: Suger = C¹²H²²O¹¹

Salt = NaCl crystals (Ionic bonds)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 08:40 am
If a little bit is good, a lot is worse.
rap has provided a link explaining the dangers of salt.
Red has enlightened us with regards to milk.
My own experience with white sugar is that it creates a dependency. I get an insulin spike (which feels OK) followed by a blood sugar drop (which makes me hungry). My failure to control carbs is the most likely explanation for my yo yo bodyweight (I stay between 200 and 300). My wife is diabetic. The poisonous effects of sugar are obvious in her case.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:47 am
So, what is the replacement for milk in this case?! What would be a good choice for kids?
0 Replies

Red888

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 11:23 am
No milk is fine. I believe what the underlying message her is that too much of anything is bad for you. Too much sugar will cause diabetes and over production of body fat. I'm sure too much salt has a negative effect on you as well. As raprap said.

People have been giving kids milk for eons. Don't worry, nothing is going to happen to a child if you give them some milk. Just don't give them alot. By alot I'm talking like over 1 litre a day. Now no normal guardian would give a child that much milk in one day anyway. Or if you are still inj doubt, purified water can't harm anyone.

hope that enlightened you abit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 11:25 am
Too much salt will elevate the blood pressure. I use way too much salt, but have an unusual advantage in that without it, i would suffer from the effects of low blood pressure.

I won't even discuss my sugar habit . . .
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 12:43 pm
Of course, too little salt leads to big problems, too. An odd sort of poison, that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 02:02 pm
Sufficiently valuable, salt has long been recognized as a crucial necessity. In the Republican Roman Empire, before Emperor's began fiddling the currency, soldiers were paid in salt--not necessarily literally, but their pay was pegged to specific quantity of salt and books were kept, and might be issued in that commodity on demand. This obviated the problem of differences in specie and the debasement of specie by the admixture of lead.

Hence, the word salary to mean one's pay, and the expression "not worth his salt" to indicate incompetence or laziness.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:54 pm
Not really my area, but I do know this. Refined sugar was unknown to man during most of man's evolution, so our bodies are not very good at processing it. When you eat a significant amount of it, your insulin shoots way up immediately. I need clarification from someone more knowledgeable concerning why that is bad, other than increased tendency to store energy as body fat. It may promote diabetes. I don't really know.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 11:06 pm
I dunno. It may stress out the beta cells in the pancreas, or something.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 03:02 am
Now, there is a question popped in my head. Call me stupid, but I don't really know the secret behind giving patients bland food at hospitals?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:28 am
Makes them want to go home?
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:48 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

CyndyP

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 04:31 pm
@navigator,
It is recommended that you don't eat anything white. This includes salt, sugar, white flour and white rice. The bottom line is because it is unhealthy for you. Foods containing these things are usually more calories and less nutrition. Let's face it, it taste good.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2010 08:13 pm
@navigator,
Sorry that I havn't read all answers, but here's mine.

Sugar is empty calories and will have a very effective way of fatting you, thuse cause diabetes and other bad things.

Salt however is a very beneficial and essential thing for the body, it will critically help your balancing organ and bodily osmosis, but can be lethal in high dosis, or damage your system in smaller doses like sailors who drink sea water because of thirst.
0 Replies