A Labour victory in the UK

smorgs

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:41 pm
Nice to wake up to a Labour Government....at least my (Civil Service) job is safe for another term.

Your thoughts please...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 824 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:44 am
Better than the alternative - but not really good from this perspective, anyway.

What have they been like for the average Briton, Smorgs?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:08 am
Hard to sum up really dlowan...people have such short memories. When Labour swept into power, after all those terrible Thatcher years, the nation was hopeful. But, alas, Iraq, WOMD and the 'friendship' with Bush are the most recent issues, and the most damaging. I feel that these (festering) issues seem to cancel out any Labour achievements in peoples minds.

Still...think of the alternative...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:23 am
To wake up the morning and watch Tony walk into no. 10 has spoiled my day...for the next 5 years
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:37 am
Basically, the biggest achievement that Labour can boast is the economy. Gordon Brown may have taxed us up to the hilt, using various dodgy means, but our inflation is low and we have about the healthiest economy in Europe.
Compared to the "boom/bust" days before Labour, I know which one I prefer.

Blair made a very grave error in tagging along with Bush over Iraq. He knows this, the Country knows it, but it is now virtually impossible to extract ourselves from the situation in the forseeable future.

On the domestic front, (IMO) Labour has chucked money into the Health Service and Education. Unfortunately, most of the extra Health staff jobs created have been Management or penpushers. There are now so many non "front line" staff in the health Service that they now equal the number of hospital patients. Imagine, every Patient lying in bed, could have their very own penpusher sitting at a desk next to them. They could then BOTH watch the nurses do all the work.
Being a Civil servant Smorgs (as I was), you will readily identify with the increase in the number of targets set over the past five years or so.
Labour loves targets.....and measuring things. With every new target that is spewed out, the teacher, ward sister, doctor, Policeman....(anyone who is a Government employee really) has at least three new forms to fill in.
If Labour cut their demands on paperwork by 75% and let the people get on with their jobs, instead of "Big Brother" style meddling, they would achieve much better results at the "sharp end".

On the whole, it is the best result for the Country.....as Blair will step down after a short while (a year, maybe?) and Brown will take over.
Maybe then we can get out of Iraq altogether, and try and put it behind us.
I just hope that Blair doesnt have another hidden agenda....and that he gets rid of that awful Alistair Campbell.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:54 am
Interesting that Crosby's and Textor's hate-based approach didn't work in the UK. They tried to mine a racist lode but couldn't find enough to work on.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:38 am
I thought I read that Blair was re-elected, which really surprised me. I couldn't figure out how that happened given the release of documents over the last week.

Are you speculating that he'll step down? Or, is this known?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:00 am
Not Blair - 'tis a party, not a presidential system.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 05:15 am
Squinney,
there is already talk of a "stalking horse" challenge to Blairs leadership. This means that a "no hoper" will challenge Blair for the leadership, knowing full well that he/she will not win. The gesture is made though, and if that person gains enough support on the issue, a formal ballot will be held. At that point, all the serious contenders will make themselves known, and a leader will be formally voted in.

If this doesnt happen, I'm sure that Blair will relinquish the leadership within the next year, and make way for Gordon Brown (who is Chancellor at present....the second most powerful Minister).

If Gordon Brown becomes Prime Minister, at least it will bring back some integrity to the Labour Party. He is not exactly exciting, but he has a good brain and is slightly more to the left than the Blair camp.

I dont know whether he will drag along behind Bush.....I very much doubt it, as he seems to put the interests of the UK at the very top of his list, which is not a bad thing.
0 Replies