Theory and Appreciation

Tarah

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:37 pm
I've been asked to be a tutor for a residential weekend course next year. I've submitted an outline (it's for 8 sessions which total 10 hours) to help beginners/intermediates write and perform poetry. I had no problem with it and it's been accepted.

However, this evening I've received an email asking whether I'd be interested in running a Theory and Appreciation course and if so, would I please submit an outline proposal.

As it's in the UK, I would want mainly British poets and poetry and the truth is I wouldn't know where to start. Again, it would be 8 sessions and run for 10 hours.

Does anyone have any ideas??? PLEASE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 770 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Letty

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 04:53 pm
Tarah, I would begin by separating your British poets and poems into either genres or time lines.

Why not Try:

The Elements of Poetry

A. Songs and Story-poems

examples

B.The Sounds of Poetry

examples

I would then let my last classification be "A Poem's Message"

After that just leave a section that would include a poet's workshop.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:48 am
Yes, thank you Letty. You've made some sense of it and it's not quite so frightening and huge.

I think the problem is that I write and perform poetry so can help others do the same. I know a little of Keats, Wordsworth, Byron etc. but nowhere near enough to discuss it for hours and hours.

Of course I could throw in a little Frost and Emily Dickinson.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:38 am
Tarah, the main thing about poetry is that it is a creative endeavor, and you don't want to structure it too much. Frankly, if it were I, I would let your audience do most of the interaction, after you have presented the basic tools.

Suggestion: Look at a textbook of English poets, and choose the ones that appeal to you first, then explain why they do. I know that you'll do well, my friend.
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 11:28 am
Thanks, Letty.

To start with, I think I'll call it Poetry Appreciation for Beginners. That way I won't get academics who know far more than I do.

First session I'll probably just make it an introduction. Second one I'll discuss poetic devices, such as alliteration, metre and rhyme.

Third, War Poetry. Fourth, Love poetry. 5th session, nature poetry. 6th, life and death. 7th Comic verse 8th summing up.

I only have to write an outline at this stage. I've got a year to learn about appreciating poetry!

I'll let you know if they accept my outline.
0 Replies