Civilization

longly

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 10:43 am
What is meant by the term civilization in anthropology? Can it be used to refer the hunter gathers?

fresco

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 01:30 pm
@longly,
Good luck with your homework !
0 Replies

Ponderer

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2019 02:24 pm
@longly,
I think that hunter-gatherers would not mean that they were part of a "civilization". They hunted and gathered their food and whatever else they needed to survive in families and small groups. The term "civilization" refers to when people began to live together in cooperative communities and began growing food. Some people raised livestock, some made clothes, some made shoes, etc. Their survival also depended on establishing rules that the community would live by and enforce. Thus the term "civilized" man.
fresco

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 01:50 am
@Ponderer,
You don't seem to have a clue of what homework like this is about. It's not about 'what the student thinks', its about whether he/she can give a balanced view both for and against a thesis by displaying knowledge of the literature on the subject. Any assignment is merely a vehicle for display of evidence of study, and ability to see different pov's. In this way, those who call themselves 'professional anthropologists' seek to only admit to their ranks those who like themselves are wary of the potential pitfalls of lay usage of terms like 'civilized'.
Ponderer

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 03:28 am
@fresco,
Ah...Yes. A perfect example of the point I have been trying to make. ( "...'education going way off the deep end..." /"...teachers trying to look like geniuses" You demonstrated by your first response that you are a typical example of the reason students end up seeking help at this sight. Even though your profile page says that you were a teacher, your only words were "Good luck with your homework." This is an example of the state of "education" in 2019. "Teachers", instead of teaching, tell their students
"Here is your assignment. You have the answers on your computer. (Somewhere) Now, go find the answers." So, seeking knowledge, the student attempts to find answers by asking "experts". The first answer the student got was essentially "Sorry, wrong place. Keep trying." (from a "teacher")
I don't claim to be an expert in anthropology. I merely (at least) tried to offer what I believed to be my understanding about the beginnings of civilization. If you know that something I wrote was incorrect, please correct me. If you have any useful information to present on the subject, please do so. If your only purpose is to insult me, please don't waste your time.
0 Replies

Ponderer

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 04:28 am
*site
While this site is the subject, I wonder if perhaps a name change would be in order, due to the ongoing demonstration that some people (mainly students) are misled into believing that this is where they can ask a question and expect an "expert" answer. Instead, they are taunted, humiliated, and oppressed for just trying.
fresco

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 07:26 am
@Ponderer,
What a load of verbiage to avoid the well established A2K point that doing homework for a student is the last thing a student needs ! If you feel taunted or humiliated by my remaks to you...tough!
mark noble

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 07:47 am
@Ponderer,
Agreed.
It invites, such as it is - And Not an expert (whatever that means) in sight.

Intentionally misleading to draw traffic... Any and All traffic.

Decent enough site, though - There are gems to be found amongst the rubble.

Ponderer

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 07:51 am
@fresco,
Oh, so now you resort to yelling at me? I have learned nothing from you that I didn't learn in the 2nd grade. (Some teachers are mean.)
& btw, I felt neither.
fresco

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 08:09 am
@Ponderer,
Laughing Yet more verbiage avoiding your contravention of the A2K convention. Looks like 2nd grade may have been your apex !
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 08:09 am
@Ponderer,
Fresco - Does appear to be 'meaner' (your term) than I last recall.

But, spends valuable time trying to illuminate they who wander into relative identifiable interests.

And 'Homework' posts annoy some folk - He's venting at the 'Post-function', Not You.

Though he may....soon:)
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 08:12 am
@mark noble,
Freudian projection from one chronically and widely ignored ?
mark noble

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 08:30 am
@fresco,
No, Freud had tunnel-vision (blinkered by era).
My own interpretation of this 'indifference' leading to 'enhanced' ... attitude.

'Chronically'? AND 'Widely'?

Fresco?
I'm 'Ego-free'

Just trying to alleviate unnecessary, internet-derived Stress - For any and all - FREE of charge, every now and then.
fresco

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 08:56 am
@mark noble,
Good definition of 'kibbitzing'! Well done !
mark noble

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 09:18 am
@fresco,
You're right.
I meddled in something that, in my perspective, was by positive intent - Yet received as the contrary.

At what point should we avert our eyes from all we feel an intervention might turn a negative bond into a positive bond?

Isn't just being online a precursor to Kibbitzism?
0 Replies

Ponderer

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 09:30 am
@mark noble,
Re: "gems"
Yeah, I kinda miss that series on window cleaning.
mark noble

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 09:43 am
@Ponderer,
You isolate 'ONE' word from my meddlesome intervention and turn it into a concept, I know not of?
No wonder Fresco's (Not to upset a2k-mods with expletives) (That are tempered differently here (UK)) a tad angst-ridden with you.

...and me... Now, too.

Ponderer

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 10:10 am
@mark noble,
I know not why you took offense. I certainly intended none.
mark noble

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 10:29 am
@Ponderer,
I'm not offended, Ponderer.
But I understand why Fresco is angst-ridden with us.

People communicate from their perspective and, generally, assume everyone else perceives in like-fashion.

And, up to a point, in their 'maturation' (spiritual) believe themself and that they produce, most relative.

I'm still meddling - So excuse my input.

All's Well:)
0 Replies

Ponderer

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 10:37 am
@mark noble,
To clarify, I thought your statement about "gems amongst the rubble" referred to posts in general. I started to reply that yes, I had met a few. However, I didn't want it to sound like I was referring to anyone as rubble.
Perhaps you missed the series of posts about "When should I schedule window cleaning?, What equipment is used to clean windows?, Should I have my screens cleaned also?, What factors are considered in the cost of window cleaning?" Someone (Farmerman ?George?) replied "Has A2K branched out into window cleaning now?" I wrote "Yes. We will soon be offering stone walkways, birdbaths, and gutters."
My remark was what I thought was sarcastic humor by referring to those posts as "gems".

1. Forums
  2. » Civilization
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/12/2024 at 11:16:14