Civilization

mark noble

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 10:42 am
@Ponderer,
I only visit the forum every few months - Not a resident.
I have never read another of your posts.

I can't be offended, btw.
Past that:)
Ponderer

Reply Sat 27 Apr, 2019 11:29 am
@mark noble,
You know what? That's exactly why I told Fresco not to waste time trying to insult me:)
fresco

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 12:47 am
@Ponderer,
Smile There seems to be a recent trend on A2K to consider criticism as 'insult'. Maybe its something to do with the ubiquity of platforms on which any dog feels entitled to have its day no matter what it cares to bark about. Is that what we've come to ...the acceptance of verbal graffiti ? Crying or Very sad
(Don't worry ...its a rhetorical question.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 01:16 am
@Ponderer,
Ponderer wrote:

You know what?

Sounds like a rhetorical question to me.
0 Replies

longly

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 12:42 pm
I am not a student and have not been one for a very long time. What I am is very curious; it is an affliction that I have had all my life. Some people out grow it but I never did. I think that my last words on this earth might be I wonder what is behind that light. That is a little flippant but I think it sums it up well enough.

I know what I think civilization means; I agree with the definition I pasted below. It is from wikipedia and some people look down on that source, but I find it useful from time to time. I was curious how posters here would viewed the term. Not here, but I have heard educated people refer to primitive cultures as civilizations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization
“A civilization or civilisation (see English spelling differences) is any complex society characterized by urban development, social stratification imposed by a cultural elite, symbolic systems of communication (for example, writing systems), and a perceived separation from and domination over the natural environment.
fresco

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 03:34 pm
@longly,
You asked the question as though it were a typical homework assignment, but as a more general issue, the point is surely whether the term 'civilization' is being used loosely, to mean any territorial occupation by homo sapiens, or technically/comparitively to mean a specific social structure This is tyoically why 'definitions' might be of little help because they gloss over differing degrees of contextual rigour.
mark noble

Reply Sat 4 May, 2019 06:17 am
@fresco,
That's the 'fresco' I can relate to.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Civilization
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 09:30:53