Help: Is the crab a forbidden motif of art in Europe?

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:48 pm
Hi. I am from China. An artist friend here has designed some porcelain items featuring crabs which he plans to sell at a beach resort. But we have noticed the image of the crab appearing in western postal stamps commemorating human health achievements and in the logos of some health organizations, in which it symbolizes cancer. We understand that the origin of this symbolism perhaps has to do with the Greek word for crab, and there is Cancer the zodiac sign. My question: Is the crab a forbidden art motif in the west for this symbolic reason? Does the ordinary western tourist tend to avoid buying items featuring the crab for souvenir or gift? Or could the mere sight of a crab image in a store inspire enough unpleasant feelings in the western tourist to drive them out immediately? We are quite confused, with one out of a dozen humans having to be born Cancerian according to western astrology and gifts bearing the sign and it's English name seen everywhere even here in China.

Just how would you feel if you chance upon a porcelain crab in a souvenir store at some beach resort?

Thank you for your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 692 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 08:56 pm
Most people of European descent (whether Europeans, or North and South Americans) are probably supremely indifferent to astrological symbolism. I cannot say to a certainty, but would suggest to you that no such taboo exists. As far as Americans are concerned, crab is a very popular dish to eat, especially crab legs from snow crabs or Alaskan king crabs, which are large enough to make cracking the crab leg open worth it.

My advice, don't worry about it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 12:12 am
I'm sure, you'll find a lot of souvenirs with crabs on it here in Europe (at the least in the northern and western parts - that's where I'm pretty sure).

What Set said: don't worry about it.
0 Replies

Xanaduer

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 07:26 pm
thanks for the info
Thank you for the info, Setanta and Walter. Smile Now I have got feedbacks from folks in Europe, the Americas, and Australia. It seems the crab as an art motif is ok with people everywhere around the globe.

The crab in China is often a symbol of order-breakers and bullies; apparently because the creature's unique sideway walking style and powerful pincers tend to lead people think it's a strong-armer in the animal world who would push other walkers out of their way and hog the road. Thus the image of a steamed crab, with its body and legs all red and the pincers draped loose, symbolizes the bully who finally meet with what he deserves. Otherwise the crab has no negative connotations in China. It's sometimes also a motif of art, especially in traditional watercolor paintings depicting idyllic rural pond scene, along with other small water animals and plants. Its image is also commonly seen at sea resorts and on the billboards of seafood restaurants.

http://www.chinaschool.org/jstn/child-qcw/images/2003_03/200303_01/23/01.jpg
watercolor crabs by a 6-year-old kid
0 Replies