Dual Loyalty - Jewish Americans

gollum

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2019 08:33 am
Some Jewish Americans argue in favor of U.S. support for Israel.

Congresswoman Ilhan Omar referred to this by saying, “It’s all about the Benjamins baby.”

I believe she meant that American Jews make political contributions resulting in U.S. policy favorable to Israel. She was criticized for criticizing American Jews as having double loyalty.

Separately, some American Jews are also citizens of Israel.

I think any American citizen who is also a citizen of another country has dual loyalty.

Why is dual citizenship permitted?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 567 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2019 09:25 am
@gollum,
American Jews aren't citizens of Israel unless we evoke the Law of Return. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Return
izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:34 am
@gollum,
Some countries allow dual nationality, others don't. Boris Johnson had dual nationality because he was born in New York, he recently renounced it because he doesn't want to be liable for American tax.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:36 am
@jespah,
jespah-

Thank you.

Yes, an American citizen could become a Dual Citizen of Israel and the U.S. by traveling to Israel and invoking the Law of the Return.

The issue is that once he accepts Israeli citizenship, that he thereby has dual loyalty.

I think that in the passports issued by (all?) countries, the person holding the passport swears allegiance to the issuing country. I think that the meaning of the word allegiance is such that an individual could only have allegiance to one country at a time.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:45 am
@gollum,
What about people who emigrate and contribute to their new country. Why should they have to revoke their citizenship if it's not a hostile country?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2019 12:21 pm
@gollum,
The criticism about it being "all about the Benjamins baby" is that it was an anti-Semitic trope about Jews using money to influence governments. More accurately, it's all about the Israel junkets that are paid for with the Benjamins.

The dual loyalty criticism is about certain congresspersons' allegiance to Israel over the American public when they sanction Americans' free speech and free expression against Israel. The irony is that most of these congresspeople are Gentiles, making the anti-Semitism charge a farce.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2019 02:17 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

I think that the meaning of the word allegiance is such that an individual could only have allegiance to one country at a time.

No. Good grief. Dual citizenships aren't exclusive to Israel citizens and other countries. So, clearly there is no conflict (in the developed world at least) between countries that allow this kind of citizenship status.
0 Replies