Led Zeppelin, the greatness of

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 02:37 pm
im not even gonna ask, are there any led zeppelin fans out there? i know you're there. this is for anyone wanting to discuss the greatness of quite possibly the best band to have existed.

jimmy page uses a bow to play dazed and confused, can anyone tell me where he uses the bow or is it used throughout the song?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,715 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 03:02 pm
Led Zeppelin were amazing...definitely one of my favorite bands.

Don't know about the bow however.
0 Replies

DocGliss

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:35 pm
According to Page in a video interview I saw a few years ago, he got the idea for using the cello bow from the cello-playing father of former TV actor David McCallum (from "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."). Page was forever trying something new to keep the performances fresh for both the band and the audiences, and the bow, like the theremin he used in "Whole Lotta Love" fit right into that notion. The only way I know to really answer the questions about the technique would be to recommend watching the film "The Song Remains the Same" and you can see for yourself. His technique was, shall we say, percussive.

And just because I play a cherry sunburst Les Paul and a hot-rodded Epiphone G-1275 doubleneck, that's no reason to assume I'm a Zeppelin fan. :wink:
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:49 pm
Here's a great Led Zeppelin song and a great bunch of cats....

Rock on!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:25 pm
geeeze gustav, I sometimes wonder where you get
lost in the internet.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:34 pm
Help me, Jane. Help me.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:39 pm
That would be the blind leading the blind Wink
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:47 pm
Here's an interesting site about manure spreader calibration
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:50 pm
This is the great thing about A2K. What other site has a discussion about Led Zeppelin that includes manure spreader calibration.

Only at A2k will you witness such a phenomenon
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:55 pm
Any discussion that gets an unexpected visitor named gustavratzenhofer, will eventually sway into a different
direction.
0 Replies

DocGliss

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:57 pm
Well how's this for a coincidence? The aforementioned Epiphone doubleneck's name is Jane.

Pray, continue in whatever direction you were swerving before I so rudely referred back to the original topic. :wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:05 pm
I just read your unedited post - I thought it was a nice
story - and it is a coincidence (altough my real name is not
Jane).

I'm glad, life turned out good for her. Fate has its ways.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:11 pm
Led Zeppelin? Simply the best rock band EVER! Who is better than Zep? Come on, just try to name one! Okay, if you take the Beatles out of it (and actually, they aren't really the same kind of band--they were more of a pop-type of thing for most of their duration), nobody beats Zep!!!~

Remember that no-talent hack band Whitesnake? Remember how they tried to steal that playing the guitar with a bow dealio? Pathetic pretenders...
0 Replies

music-lover

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:48 am
Led Zeppelin, ONE of the GREATEST bands ever! My fav 2 songs of Led Zeppelin are 'Kashmir' and 'Trampled Underfoot' I AM A HUGE LED ZEPPELIN FAN! Very Happy
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 08:06 am
kickycan wrote:
Remember that no-talent hack band Whitesnake? Remember how they tried to steal that playing the guitar with a bow dealio? Pathetic pretenders...

That brings up another point...they've been sampled/ripped off so many damn times. Very influential band.

They're one of the few bands/artists, that when I listen to, I get really "into" the music(this means I run down the street with only my headphones and socks on while listening to them ringing+running everyone's doorbells).
0 Replies

DocGliss

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:30 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
(this means I run down the street with only my headphones and socks on while listening to them ringing+running everyone's doorbells).

I was wondering who that was.

Thanks, Calamity Jane. I edited that story out when I realized that I had already told it in the thread "What does music do for you?" And I'm not really a doctor either; it's a nickname I acquired from a friend. So I guess we're even!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:46 pm
She's just kidding you about her name, Doc. It is Jane.

Jane Portoski. She's lives in Beaumont, Georgia and runs a very successful dry-cleaning business.

All of us at A2K are very proud of her.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:54 pm
Yup, Zeppelin Rocks!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:55 pm
Stick to the polka, Montana.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:58 pm