The ACCENT Thread

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 09:59 am
For one who has lived most of his life in Boston, this is a strange thing to say, but I really hate the Boston accent. Having traveled quite a bit, I now realize just how grating it sounds to a non-Bostonian. This business of dropping Rs and then re-inserting them at the ends of words where they don't belong can be maddening. We Bostonians call the 'plummah' when the faucet needs fixing and then drive a 'cah' to the 'stoah' to get a jar of 'Noxeemer.' Maddening.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 02:34 pm
agreed.
it gets old fast hearing jerry remy say "sammy soser"...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 04:20 pm
I hate to break it to you - but Australians don't have accents. We all talk like this! You never hear an accent here.

The rest of you have accents, though! Wink

I'm for the Irish, mesel'!
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 08:58 pm
In the realm of accented english: Malaysians, South Africans, and Aussies.
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 01:56 am
This is a dumb poll, because there's no such thing as the English accent - there are at least a dozen main accents and they are as different from each other as chalk, cheese and chutney. Many of them aren't even mutually intelligible - anybody see on British TV a month ago that Jamie Oliver, who comes from Essex on the north bank of the Thames, couldn't understand schoolchildren from Greenwich on the south bank?

I love a Dorset accent, can't stand Brummie, Geordie makes me giggle because I can never believe that anyone can make vowel sounds like that naturally (but it must be true, because it's near impossible ito imitate).

There's also no such thing as the Scottish accent either. Love the West Highland accent, but Glaswegian you can keep, for me.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:47 pm
syntinen,

thank you for teaching my american-centric ass a thing or 2 about accents in the UK... unfortunately the poll is limited, so i couldn't possibly include every accent/dialect on the planet...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 05:17 pm
rp
Noted the change in the poll! Smile
0 Replies