Do Christians have Stockholm syndrome where one loves his abuser?

chai2

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 08:03 am
@chai2,
Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Yeah, if there is a god of the bible/torah, he/she/it is definately a prick/doucebag/asshole.

Why would we believe there is something like this?

Because of some "revelations" of a few goat herders who were in the sun a little too long?

mystikmind

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 04:37 pm
@chai2,
Clearly you dont get it.

let me put you straight..... you dont speak for me, you dont tell me what i think and believe, you dont know me - the arrogance to do so is almost unbelievable, but i will cut you some slack that the general level of arrogance on this site has probably rubbed off a bit on to you.

Again, you dont speak for me, dont put words and motives in my mouth.... you speak for yourself and we will get along just fine
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2019 06:17 am
@chai2,
Flip that on its head, if you were God and had something to reveal to humanity you probably wouldn't choose a total muppet.
mystikmind

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2019 06:19 pm
@izzythepush,
How well versed on Christianity are you?

Repeatedly God displays a preference for the 'total muppets'.... whomever the world considers to be less.
Such phrases as 'the stone that the builders rejected' 'those who are last will become first' can be found, along with many other examples.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 12:56 am
@mystikmind,
I was talking to Chai. I had the misfortune of being forced to go to church when I was a kid. It was then that I realised most people who call themselves Christian are among the most horrible people I've ever met.

They also like to wax lyrical on epiphanies they'd had about the flaming obvious. Have you worked out that water's wet yet, or will that require divine intervention?
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 07:04 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Homophobia and mysogyny are certainly not the exclusive province of some mainstream Christians even if it serves your purpose to claim that.

A nice reply except for this.

You are correct that those are not exclusive to religions. I did not indicate that it was.

It is also true that our customs are led by the majority and the religious have been the majority for some time now. They should be speaking out against that discrimination without a just cause yet do not.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 07:09 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Yeah, if there is a god of the bible/torah, he/she/it is definately a prick/doucebag/asshole.

Why would we believe there is something like this?

Because of some "revelations" of a few goat herders who were in the sun a little too long?

U C 20/20.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 10:04 am
@Greatest I am,
So you think you know how to define 'a just cause' ! Every suicide bomber is driven by his own 'just cause', and if your version of religion subscribes to 'an after life' or 'celestial realm', you are indirectly giving succour to those religious fanatics who have their own interpretation of that bit of wishful thinking.
mystikmind

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 04:30 pm
@fresco,
Suicide bombers would most likely have a variety of motivations - hate, revenge, desperation, or even simply the fact of being bribed - the victim is poor and the terrorists will pay the poor persons family if they do the bombing, i mean that is using the poor persons love for their family to perform an act of hate.... is their anything more evil in the world than that??

And then there is faith. There is an element to faith that asks a person to set aside their own personal logic and wisdom to trust in God and Gods will. This can be twisted to create suicide bombers. The person would never be a suicide bomber if they trusted their own logic and wisdom, but they have that part of their person disarmed by faith.
Using a persons faith or using a poor persons love of their family to create suicide bombers... it so evil, i mean, it so evil you can tell Satan, "you can take a vacation now, we got this".
mystikmind

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 05:30 pm
For some reason this conversation made me think of this particular movie quote;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3_IuPMya6k
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 12:57 am
@mystikmind,
As usual, you've lost the 'plot' which is for Greatest to promote his own religious dispositions by denigrating those of others.
The 'just cause' ploy amounts to a religious claim of 'knowing the Truth'. It is irrelevant for you to regurgitate the well known societal or religious predispositions of jihadists. All 'just causists' are equivalent with respect to 'faith', whether they be jihadists, animal rights activists, or anti abortionists. They think they are 'right'. That is NOT the issue on this thread. It is whether 'Stockholm syndrome' works in favour of Gnostic Christians' rejection of mainstream Christianity. Your God/Satan mythology merely underscores the irrationality and sociopathic propensities of religion per se.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 01:34 am
@mystikmind,
I don't think you have any concept of what motivates suicide bombers so you make stuff up. The common strand is one of disaffected young men caught up in petty crime and drug dealing who feel a need to do something significant with their lives.

For all its faults, Jihadism has been consistent in its opposition the Western hegemony in the Middle East, unlike many of its corrupt rulers. That makes things very easy, it's a good versus evil struggle against neo Colonialists and the jihadis are the only ones prepared stand up to it.

Paradoxically those of faith, who've been well versed in the Koran know the jihadists are talking bollocks.
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 06:59 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

So you think you know how to define 'a just cause' ! Every suicide bomber is driven by his own 'just cause', and if your version of religion subscribes to 'an after life' or 'celestial realm', you are indirectly giving succour to those religious fanatics who have their own interpretation of that bit of wishful thinking.

In terms of homophobia and misogyny, there is no just cause for the discrimination that the mainstream religions dole out.

My religion has no supernatural beliefs so I think we will get along.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 07:03 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

As usual, you've lost the 'plot' which is for Greatest to promote his own religious dispositions by denigrating those of others.
The 'just cause' ploy amounts to a religious claim of 'knowing the Truth'. It is irrelevant for you to regurgitate the well known societal or religious predispositions of jihadists. All 'just causists' are equivalent with respect to 'faith', whether they be jihadists, animal rights activists, or anti abortionists. They think they are 'right'. That is NOT the issue on this thread. It is whether 'Stockholm syndrome' works in favour of Gnostic Christians' rejection of mainstream Christianity. Your God/Satan mythology merely underscores the irrationality and sociopathic propensities of religion per se.

You are damned right that I will denigrate all religions that are homophobic and misogynous.

If you do not, then you are not a moral person.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

mystikmind

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 04:27 pm
And here i was thinking to finally get a decent conversation out of izzythepush or Fresco.... hahahaha, ahhh, nope, the temptation to take the arrogant stance 'i know correct and what you know is garbage' is just too irresistible for them, .... EVEN IN A RELIGIOUS THREAD! (f-me)
fresco

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 12:22 am
@mystikmind,
Yeh...yeh....lets just have a chat...forget about focus! Calls to debate the issue raised are just 'arrogance' ! I'm surprised you had a go at Izzy because at least he took you up on your Jihadist lecture...but, of course, you don't like dissenters do you!

The subtext here is that Gnostic Christianity is based on a thesis that 'an evil Abrahamic God' has enslaved humanity in 'a material world', but the 'true spiritual world'...the one of 'clear morality'...is the province of Gnostics. One would have thought that might have appealed to a'mystikmind', but maybe you don't know much about that bit of mysticism !
izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2019 01:07 am
@fresco,
He doesn't like being called out, he reported me when I pointed out he was all mouth and trousers and wouldn't stand a chance against Gordon Ramsey.

He doesn't limit himself to theology he also likes to list celebrities he reckons he could beat up.

If you went to church maybe you would be able to provide a list of celebrities you'd like to twat.
0 Replies