Which of the two words sounds more natural and common to native speakers?

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 03:53 am
I am confused by the different explanations of the following two dictionaries.
Macmillan says 'provide A to B', while thefree dictionary says it is wrong and tells us not to say 'provide A to B', insisting that we not use any prepositions except FOR. That is why I am much confused. Which of the two is GRAMMATICALLY correct in the States and Britain regardless of whether it is used or not in a daily life? And could you suggest any authentic sources about this?

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/provide
We provide legal advice and services to our clients.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/provide
The animals provide food for their young. (0)
Don't use any preposition except for in sentences like these.
Don't say, for example 'The animals provide food to their young'.(x)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 337 • Replies: 3

jespah

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 04:49 am
@suwon kim,
The free dictionary doesn't know WTF they're talking about.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 01:55 pm
Now learn the dative case. Suppose I say "Give me your book." The word me is in the dative case because what I mean is "Give TO me your book." The dative case exists any time you have to, for, by, from, of, and so on.

In many cases the words are interchangeable, and in all cases it is merely a matter of how people talk. For example English speakers say the plate is on the table and Spanish speakers say the plate is in the table.
jespah

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 05:43 pm
@Jewels Vern,
And do you stand on a line or in a line?
0 Replies