Which of the two words sounds more natural and common to native speakers?

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 03:26 am
You know that the word 'merge' is both transitive and instransitive. Then in the following sentence, which of the two sounds more natural and common to native speakers?
Though (merging/merged), the two companies did not have any advantages over their competitors.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 439 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ponderer

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 09:06 am
@suwon kim,
"Merging" means that the two companies are still in the process of merging, that they are not completely merged. If they are completely merged, I would say "Though they have merged, the two companies do not have any advantages over their competitors."
suwon kim

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2018 02:58 am
@Ponderer,
Thank you so much. but you know the above sentence has a past tense. In that case, can you say "Though they were merged, the two companies did not have any advantage...?"
roger

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2018 03:22 am
@suwon kim,
He is correct, but it sounds like you are saying about the same thing and disagreeing.

What am I missing.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2018 09:10 am
@suwon kim,
suwon kim wrote:

Thank you so much. but you know the above sentence has a past tense. In that case, can you say "Though they were merged, the two companies did not have any advantage...?"

No. The meaning here is that from the time of the merge, the two companies do not have any advantage.
0 Replies

Bryvsp84

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2019 10:05 am
@suwon kim,
Merged sounds more natural to me (native speaker). Merging does give a sense that the merge is still in progress.
0 Replies