Feel Good News To Wake Up To

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 05:14 am
Quote:
HAMILTON (CP) - A down-on-her-luck Hamilton woman has learned how quickly fortunes can change.

Seeking some cash, she tried to sell her CD collection at a used record shop Sunday but was rebuffed, and became so upset she started yelling and crying. That drew the attention of police, who, along with a psychiatric nurse, took the distraught woman to a Tim Hortons to discuss her options.

The 30-year-old woman rolled up the rim of her coffee cup and won a doughnut.

Const. Gary David told her that since she was on a roll, she might as well roll up the rim on his cup.

She did and won a $1,000 cash prize.

The woman offered to split the prize, but David and the nurse declined, saying it "made their day" to see her win.

Source

Quite a different handling of a situation than handcuffing a five year old!

(This should help you get your mind off of the skydiver that hit the propeller and the frozen mother story Stillwater posted. Had to get that outta my mind.) Shocked

Any discussion or posting of feel-good news is welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,777 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 05:18 am
In Florida the record store guy would have just legally shot her. Perceived threat and all ya know.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 08:34 pm
Squinney you're a beautiful person..........!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:26 pm
Some kids digging in their back yard discovered a box of old and rare money, some of it dating back to the 1800s. They were going to split it up. - Saw this on the AM local news.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 06:16 pm
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:08 am
edgarblythe wrote:

Laughing This story is all the rage here in Oklahoma. We all find it pleasantly hilarious. The thing is, even after retruning and reparing these things, he will still be charged if he's caught! Laughing
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:17 am
I reckon somebody should start up a newspaper that only reported happy news.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:26 am
Re: Feel Good News To Wake Up To
squinney wrote:
Quote:
HAMILTON (CP) - A down-on-her-luck Hamilton woman has learned how quickly fortunes can change.

Seeking some cash, she tried to sell her CD collection at a used record shop Sunday but was rebuffed, and became so upset she started yelling and crying. That drew the attention of police, who, along with a psychiatric nurse, took the distraught woman to a Tim Hortons to discuss her options.

The 30-year-old woman rolled up the rim of her coffee cup and won a doughnut.

Const. Gary David told her that since she was on a roll, she might as well roll up the rim on his cup.

She did and won a $1,000 cash prize.

The woman offered to split the prize, but David and the nurse declined, saying it "made their day" to see her win.

Source

Quite a different handling of a situation than handcuffing a five year old!

(This should help you get your mind off of the skydiver that hit the propeller and the frozen mother story Stillwater posted. Had to get that outta my mind.) Shocked

Any discussion or posting of feel-good news is welcome.

We Canadians are like that eh! :-)

Hamilton is the donut capital of the world Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:54 am
The Donut Capital? Really? There is such a place? I must search the realestate offerings in Hamilton today! : )

Returning the stereo equipment, re-hooking it up and fixing the door is a hoot. In such a small town, I'm surprised no one noticed it happening, but I'm glad he/she did the right thing.

Edgar - any word on what happened with the rare coinage?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:53 am
The "You Go, Girl" Award of the month goes to:

Quote:
R.I. Woman, 80, Carries Friend Out of Fire
Thursday, April 28, 2005 6:02:12 PM
HOPKINTON, R.I. (AP) - An 80-year-old woman rescued her 67-year-old neighbor from an apartment fire, carrying the ailing woman down two flights of stairs.

Madalene Lindill put Grace Brayman's arms around her neck and carried her on her back out of their elderly housing complex Wednesday after Brayman accidentally ignited a fire in her apartment.

Lindill told WJAR-TV there was "nothing to it."

"I'm not a great person," she said. "You just don't think at the time."

Hope Valley-Wyoming Fire Chief Fred Stanley described Lindill as "a small woman." She told him she had served as an auxiliary firefighter in the 1960s in Plainfield, Conn.

"She had to be a spunky little character to do what she did," Stanley said.

Fire officials said the blaze started when Brayman, who was wearing an oxygen mask, lit a cigarette. That caused the mask to ignite, and the fire spread to a chair and carpet.

Brayman, the only person hurt, was released Thursday from a hospital.

Stanley said Lindill would receive a department citation given for acts of heroism.

Source
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:02 am
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- An ivory-billed woodpecker -- widely believed to be extinct and whose last confirmed sighting was 60 years ago -- is alive in Arkansas, according to a research paper released Thursday.

Link (CNN): http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/04/28/woodpecker/index.html
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:46 am
Squinney that did make me smile. There are lots of very good policemen too - not all are a**holes.

I hate to ruin the nice thread, but last night on the news, the men that found the money are now being investigated. It appears one of the men was in trouble for counterfeiting previous and now the officials suspect this is another case of counterfeit.

Here is my feel good story:

Babysitter helps child in seizure

On spring vacation week last Tuesday at around 11 a.m., Jessica was at her home baby-sitting 7-year-old Molly, when Molly had a seizure. Jessica and Molly were sitting in the bedroom of Jessica's brother Matthew playing video games and eating popcorn when the incident occurred.

"It looked like she was going to get popcorn, but she fell to the side," Jessica said. "My first thought was she was choking on popcorn." Jessica tried to administer the Heimlich maneuver for what she thought was choking, but that did not help.

Molly's muscles were stiff, her arms flailing, she turned white, her lips turned blue and she was drooling. Jessica held Molly down so she wouldn't fall off the bed and yelled to Matthew to call 911.

The 911 operator told Jessica to administer rescue breathing, which she did. Jessica was familiar with various rescue techniques because of the CPR class she took three times. "I'm so happy I took it that third time," she said. "I learned you need to be ready for anything, you never know what could happen. I learned not to leave children alone."

The EMTs showed up about five minutes after the 911 phone call. "It's so scary," Jessica said. "Sometimes it seems like it didn't even happen. I am so happy I was there to help her."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:58 am
Linkat, is this the story that you were talking about?

Investigators believe Barry Billcliff, 27, of Manchester, N.H., and Timothy Crebase, 22, of Methuen, Mass., found the old bank notes and bills while doing roofing work.

Both men were charged with receiving stolen property, conspiracy and accessory after the fact, Lt. Kevin Martin said. They were to be arraigned Friday morning.

I don't understand that

Sorry, Squinney. My feel good story is that I may, MAY have found someone to do my roof. HOORAH! I actually did an Irish jig.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:21 am
Yes, Letty it is.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:46 am
Drats! Well, I must admit when I saw the pic of the treasure finders I was leary of their appearance. They looked like hoodlums. Tried to ignore it, but...

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2005/04/29/treasure.jpg

Congrats on finding a roofer, Letty! Maybe you could have him dig around in the yard while he's there, too. : )
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:51 am
Very Happy I have an armadillo that does that just fine, squinney.

Actually, I'm not certain what those two guys did. I don't quite understand the charges.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:57 am
Sounds like maybe they stole it from the owner of the home whose roof they were doing, then falsified their story as to how it was found. Will keep an eye out for details.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 01:44 pm
Here's an update -

A group of men who made national headlines by claiming they dug up a buried treasure worth up to $125,000 in one of their yards were charged Friday with stealing the collection of old currency from a barn where they were doing a roofing job.
Police said Crebase confessed to finding the money in the gutter of a barn they were hired to repair. They declined to identify the owners of the barn, which is in Newbury. "The people who own the house were not aware the money was there," said Police Chief Joseph E. Solomon, adding that most of the money was recovered, but some was probably already sold.
Under Massachusetts law, he said, you can be convicted of receiving stolen property even if the victim doesn't know it's been stolen. "When you're working on my house and you find it on my property, you've got to tell me," Solomon said.
For the full story… http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/04/29/police_arrest_men_who_claimed_to_find_buried_treasure/
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 01:52 pm
squinney wrote:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2005/04/29/treasure.jpg

OMG, LMAO . . . for anybody familiar with the series, these guys look like they're straight out of Trailer Park Boys . . .

http://www.trailerparkboys.com/1024/horiz06.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 03:09 pm
Thanks, squinney. Odd that $2.00 bill. It is strange that they didn't just sell the bills and then take off, though. Makes me believe there is more to the story than we're getting.

Set, funnnneeeeeeee.
0 Replies