My cat is pulling hair out again.

patiodog

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:08 pm
Just a-wondering. It's a pic from the U of Georgia vet school web site of sumthin called "stud tail" -- overactive sebaceous secretions that cause a host of dermatologic problems. Related to testosterone (in males and females, intact and altered). I figured -- spring, sex hormone, mebbe a connection...

(Just got it by googling cat base tail -- I don't know anything about disease as of yet, esp. in cats.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:14 pm
Interesting! Speaking of testosterone, have you heard of cats humping people? My cat will hump an arm or leg if I allow him to.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:16 pm
Never seen one hump a person, but some friends have a cat named Klaus who used to hump T's stuffed pig from childhood. The pig was about twice as big as the cat, but he would drag it out to the middle of the carpet and just have a go at it, a low yowling in the back of his throat. Great party trick.

They got a second cat and he stopped doing it, though. Too bad.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:21 pm
eeyep, the low howl accompanies the hump. Most action I've gotten in a year. He started doing this AFTER his siter died a few years ago. Maybe I need another cat?

I would LOVE to see that cat-pig thing in real life.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:30 pm
You're lucky he doesn't try to subjugate you by biting the back of your neck.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:31 pm
He does make vague biting motions to which ever limb he is trying to lerve.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:47 pm
Yep, Klaus would bite the pig (which had no name, apparently -- I wrote a ballad about it, but it's lost on a now defunct laptop, and is not suitable for family reading) as close to behind its ear as he could get.

Klaus was neutered a little late.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:49 pm
how late?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:01 pm
At about a year old, I think. G&T found him alongside the highway, so his exact age was uncertain.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:10 pm
Hmmm.... (screech was between 6 months and a year).
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:14 pm
when is his birthday? i have a certain present in mind i'd like to give him.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:15 pm
Screech? You missed it, but not by much - it's May 12th.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:17 pm
ooooh! fellow taurus. he deserves a squishy pig.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:18 pm
Oh my. Well, if he stops humping my arms and legs, I'm all for it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:18 pm
is his tail hair back?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:20 pm
not entirely.
0 Replies

Deborah111

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 09:21 am
@littlek,
I'm so sorry to hear of this. I know your post is 5 years old haha. But please read the blog catinfo.org or at least pick up the book: Your Cat by Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins. My cat developed such a horrible skin reaction that no vet could explain yet alone cure. She suffered for nearly 3 years. Every med, cream, lotion, etc was tried but none could help.

Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins had a diabetic cat. And when she switched his diet to his present one, he's back to normal. So many other diabetic and other sick cats have been 100% cured. Even the ones that weren't supposed to make it. Finding and reading that blog was one of the best thing that has ever happened. And I know it will help your cat.

I wish you all the best,

Deborah.

P.S my cat used to over groom the area with the bad reaction. But once she got better (with the diet change) I noticed her pulling out her hair in fustration. (She also hasn't been eating at all for 3 days straight). Anyway, long story short, she was homesick. That simple. Mind you, she had been successfully moved to our new home 2 months ago. So .... perhaps it is something more phychological with your cat's situation.
0 Replies