Happy Birthday, Hubble!

spendius

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 04:20 pm
Yes Thomas- that's about the size of it.

I can't remember a time when adventurous exploration didn't fascinate me and the people who performed it. Even in fiction. I never miss a launch if I can help it.

But it is a belief to think it is useful for the human race simply because it has been useful to us, if it has, when we are just transient tenants. It is only us Christians who have given it such a high priority. Our cathedrals soar and study light, our music soars, we hate limits. If architecture and music and painting are a harbinger, as they were, then it looks over with.

It was a uniquely Christian/Faustian venture into the unknown. It's value to the human race, which in the last analysis is how art is judged, remains to be seen.

It is a belief that it has a point, and it is a belief I hold to, and in that sense it is religious and thus optimistic. It is also religious in the sense that there's a bond between those who believe it and it is also religious in the sense that the belief I have should not be asserted as being true but merely what I believe.

It is Christian to the very marrow. And it leaves dead sects behind and takes care to make the dying tolerable.

But there's a lot of impatience about.

There are possibly millions of generations to come. This one just has egomania. And why not if everything is meaningless.
0 Replies