Igniting magnesium strips without blowtorch?

roger

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:29 pm
Hey, guess what the company uses to perforate well casing.

Aw, but I'd rather be creative.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 04:41 pm
RDX?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 06:36 pm
Akshully, C-4 is nothin' but a stabilized, safely handleable/moldable form of RDX. RDX by itself is pretty unpredictable - not a lot more stable than nitroglycerine (to which it bears a strong formulaic relationship). I dunno fer sure, but I don't think there's much commercial - or military - application for straight RDX anymore. Could be wrong about its current market status, but I'll guarantee ya there are smarter places to be than anywhere near RDX.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 07:57 pm
no comment on your statement, but I disagree , and thats all. (We aint gonna turn this into a training session for childrotechnics)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:02 pm
I dun'no what the stuff is, but they segement the tubing cutter charges so it ships as a class 1.4. If it were factory assembled, it would have to be 1.1, if that makes sence.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:24 pm
cant say, the only CFR?DOT numbers I know are for crap we cant carry on a plane.
Most casing cutting Ive had done was always strait dynamite, nothing fancier cause the energy would be wasted by shooting out the casing and everybody'd have to run or get bonked.
Only saw that happen once and it was startling watching a 10 inch mild steel casing 80 feet long come rising out of the ground and topple over onto a service truck. It flattened the truck bed even with a 1000gal water tank on it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:43 pm
As I said, fm - I dunno fer sure about RDX's place in the market. I do know what its made of, and how to make it, and I know it (Cyclotrimethylene Trinitramine - C3H6N6O6 ) is the primary (like, more than 90% by weight) component of C-4, along with di(2-ethylhexyl) or dioctyl sebacate as plasticizers and polyisobutylene or dioctyl adipate as binder, along with a small volume of ordinary medium-viscosity motor oil and the requisite taggants. If yer gonna be close to a hyper-explosive, its a lot smarter to be close to C-4 than to RDX. To detonate C-4 takes a bit of doin' - not much, of course - simultaneous thermal and kinetic shock of sufficient magnitude will do it - but its lots less touchy than RDX. Of course, once the reaction begins in either compound, there's a much greater distance to go to be sure of safety; if you ain't already there, you ain't gonna make it Mr. Green
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:04 pm
Saw a neighbor once get a little overly generous with some ANFO he was usin' to clear some pretty substantial tree stumps. I figure the stump involved hadda go better than a ton. It and a buncha dirt went way, way up. When the stump, pretty much intact and still trailin' a buncha dirt, came down, it picked for its landin' spot the exact spot on which the guy's pickup was parked. Sorta like a cartoon, only live action.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 03:21 am
timberlandko wrote:
Saw a neighbor once get a little overly generous with some ANFO he was usin' to clear some pretty substantial tree stumps. I figure the stump involved hadda go better than a ton. It and a buncha dirt went way, way up. When the stump, pretty much intact and still trailin' a buncha dirt, came down, it picked for its landin' spot the exact spot on which the guy's pickup was parked. Sorta like a cartoon, only live action.

If a roadrunner hadda popped in and gone 'beep, beep' it would have made it perfect....
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 03:24 am
Guncotton. Anyone can still make guncotton - it's just like cellulose soaked in nitric acid, isn't it? Does anyone still use it anymore?
raprap

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 03:42 am
Nothing about trinitroiodide? Easy to make from household materials and as stable as a cross-eyed look.

rap
0 Replies

Cracked

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 07:22 am
wait, whats this about flour? I'm having barbecue and need a cheap way to entertain some of my friends.
0 Replies

Strike

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 05:31 am
@timberlandko,
whats sprenger?? i wanna try some, im a total pyro
0 Replies

Strike

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 05:32 am
@timberlandko,
once again, how??
0 Replies

Strike

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 05:35 am
@Mr Stillwater,
what the hell are gun cotton and celulose? i think i know nitric aciddd..
farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 07:16 pm
@Strike,
SADLY, Mr Timberlandko has passed away and the formula has also gone. Dont do this at home,were what you call "experts"
0 Replies