Bring is standard and good verb and collocation for "Excuse"?

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2019 04:55 am
Hello,

Do you think "bring" verb is a suitable and correct verb and collocation for using with "Excuse"? I didn't see it in any famous dictionaries, including Oxford Collocations Dictionary and I guess it's non-standard and partially wrong.

The below example is the sentence that I read and considered about and now I'm asking here. Also "the" definition article needs to goes before the "excuse" doesn't it?

"She is telling her mom how to bring excuse to school for skipping"

Best,
Masoud
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 434 • Replies: 11

jespah

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2019 04:57 am
@Masoud Moghaddam,
The sentence is referring to a parent's note to an excuse an absence.
Masoud Moghaddam

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2019 05:30 am
@jespah,
Hi Jespah,

Yeah, but I'm talking about the grammar and maybe mistake that I said. Do you have any idea about it?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2019 06:55 am
Are you confused about the verb “bring”?

You can bring a lunch to school.
Your mother can bring the lunch to school.

In your sample sentence, an “excuse” is a written note. It’s a noun. Use any kind of article you want.
You can bring an excuse to school.
You need an excuse for skipping last week.
Tell your mother to write the excuse for you.
She told her mother to bring in an excuse for skipping.
Her mother wrote the excuse for her skipping.
Masoud Moghaddam

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2019 12:53 pm
@PUNKEY,
@PUNKEY, you mean in written form we can use "bring" verb as a collocation for "excuse" and it's right? Seems "make", invent, create verbs were better than "bring".
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2019 01:22 pm
@Masoud Moghaddam,
It depends on the definition of "excuse" and what you're trying to say. In regard to the verbs "invent," "make" and "create," you seem to be using "excuse" to mean "a pretext or subterfuge" and not "a written explanation seeking exemption, pardon or forgiveness."

She is telling her mom how to invent/make/create an excuse for skipping school.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2019 01:47 pm
M
It’s not clear what you want to say. Expain what you mean.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 05:22 am
@Masoud Moghaddam,
You don't bring an excuse, you can bring a note or you can have an excuse.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 05:30 am
In the UK here was an old comic strip called Slowcoach. It was about a boy who was always late for school. The last box ended with the line, "Sorry I'm late, (sir,) but I've got an excuse," not brought an excuse. Got implies he has a reason, brought would imply he's had to look for a reason.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/bmcoote/Slowcoach_zps3e9dd226.jpg
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 08:30 am
In the US, it was common to have to “bring an excuse” to get out of class for a Dr’s appt. or whatever.

I had to get an excuse from my mother when I skipped school to see LBJ at University of Michigan stadium in ‘65. We didn’t even get close to the campus but had fun anyway. My argument was that my mother gave me permission to go and knew where I was. That didnt wash with the Dean of Discipline and I got an “ “unexcused abscence” - E’s in all classes for that day.
0 Replies

Masoud Moghaddam

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 09:11 am
Actually, the example sentence I wrote in my question was written by the kid's aunt in her Instagram account; who the aunt told her friend about the niece (the kid) what exactly she said in the video because the words were unclear because the kid is very young. So in a written situation like I said, "bring" is right?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 11:41 am
Yes. “Bring” can be used.
0 Replies