Care of goldfish fry

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 08:57 am
I'm the new mom to some fancy goldfish fry. They're about a week old. I have them in breeder nets in a 10 gallon tank in about 6 inches of water. I'm providing aeration, along with crushed flake food and some baby brine shrimp, and do a 20% water change daily. The fry are now about a quarter-inch long. Can anyone tell me how soon I can begin to use filtration in the tank. It's next to impossible to clean the tank floor using airline tubing.

Thanks! Nancy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,533 • Replies: 10
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:03 am
we have some koi in a big pond in the backyard and all we do is keep an aerating circulator going.Goldfish and koi are carp.I think They can live almost anywhere. When I had goldfish in a tank in my office, Id change their water rather infrequently but id keep another tank full nearbyso itd become similar to the temp of the one the fish were in. We also have a well so theres no clorox in the water
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:09 am
I posted some tips on fry raising...let me look for it
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:14 am
no recipes pan. I think shes serious
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:31 am
Oh!....excuse me. My minds fixated on tasty goldfish recipes...try this post nm

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1214522#1214522
0 Replies

nmlarson

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 01:02 pm
Care of goldfish fry
Thank you all for the prompt replies. Some of them got out of the breeder nets (one of my kittens decided to go fishing and knocked the tank lid into the tank, ripping the net) and seem to be fine in 12-inch deep water, so I'll play it by ear and let them escape. Hey, if they're wiley enough to escape and survive, they deserve the run of the tank, don't you think? nml

Oh, BTW, I don't think I'd want to eat goldfish...they've pretty nasty potty habits....javascript:emoticon(':wink:')
Wink
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 01:31 pm
I've got a pretty fair sized pond - 'bout a quarter acre surface area - fulla goldfish - the only care they get is what they handle on their own, apart from the pond's flora, fauna, plumbin' and filtration. I don't even feed 'em, and I wind up thinnin' out the herd every spring - they seem perfectly able to find ways to entertain themselves under the winter ice. And over the years, some of 'em have gotten pretty big.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 01:42 pm
Did someone say fish fry?
0 Replies

Can of Ham

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 07:00 pm
Re: Care of goldfish fry
nmlarson wrote:
I'm the new mom to some fancy goldfish fry. They're about a week old. I have them in breeder nets in a 10 gallon tank in about 6 inches of water. I'm providing aeration, along with crushed flake food and some baby brine shrimp, and do a 20% water change daily. The fry are now about a quarter-inch long. Can anyone tell me how soon I can begin to use filtration in the tank. It's next to impossible to clean the tank floor using airline tubing.

Thanks! Nancy

I would put a divider in the tank keeping them seperate from the filter. I also recommend using weekend feeders to feed them since they feed infrequently and flakes are messier. When they get larger toss in zucchini or orange slices to get them bulked up in a healthy manner. (I'm not playing when I say oranges)
0 Replies

sameer4282

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 08:31 am
@nmlarson,
sorry u cant use the electric filter so earlier but u can make use of bio-sponge filter
sameer
0 Replies

mancing138

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2024 10:40 pm
use a foam to filter and scrub. Don't forget to still use a small pool for filtering in several stages with various types of filters, because I always use several filter pools
0 Replies