All the Presidents' Children: insight to W's obsessions

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 12:37 pm
The author stated in a C-Span Book TV presentation that presidential children often strive to complete or conclude goals their presidential fathers failed to achieve. He opined that this may be behind Gorge W. Bush's obsession with finishing off Saddam Hussein to compensate for his father's failure to rid the world of the Iraqi dictator. He also opined that Bush's clinging to reducing taxes is based on his drive to erase the elder Bush's failed statement "READ MY LIPS; NO NEW TAXES" policy reversal and make good on it.
-----BumbleBeeBoogie
--------------------------------------------
All the Presidents' Children: Triumph and Tragedy in the Lives of America's First Families
by Doug Wead (Author)
Hardcover: 464 pages Publisher: Atria Books; (February 2003)
Amazon.com Sales Rank: 55
----------
Book Description

From Abigail "Nabby" Adams to Barbara and Jenna Bush, George Washington Adams to John F. Kennedy, Jr., the children of America's presidents have both suffered and triumphed under the watchful eyes of their powerful fathers and the glare of the ever-changing public. Many, like the children of William Henry Harrison and Andrew Johnson, writhed under the pressure and fought bitter battles with alcoholism and depression only to die young. Others, like Robert Todd Lincoln, Margaret Truman, and Helen... read more
--------------------------------
Editorial Reviews: From Publishers Weekly

Wead, who was President George H.W. Bush's special assistant, explores the dynamic bond with their presidential fathers that catapulted offspring to great success or, more often it seems, to the depths of despair. The stress of being the son or daughter of one of the most powerful men in the world, the burden of great expectations, wore away at the mental fabric of many. Some sons became alcoholics, womanizers, gamblers or just plain reckless sorts, while daughters made impossible sacrifices to gain their fathers' approval. After the death of her second son from alcoholism (the elder son drowned, perhaps a suicide), Louisa Adams, wife of John Quincy Adams, said, "[Y]et another son had been sacrificed on the altar of politics."

Among the most interesting of those explored are Robert Lincoln, one of the most successful yet darkest presidential sons; Alice Roosevelt, famous for her fearless tongue and her pet snake named Emily Spinach; John Eisenhower, decorated soldier and military historian; and Theodore Roosevelt Jr., who outdid his famous father on the battlefield. Also profiled are the nine weddings held in the White House. Wead includes only short bios on those presidential children still living, out of respect for their privacy. Still, there is no shortage of drama, scandal and emotion in the lives detailed here, for as Wead sums up, "Two things are unforgivable for the child of a president-success and failure." 16 pages of color photos.
Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information, Inc.
-----------------------
History Comes Alive, February 18, 2003: Reviewer: John Godzich from Mesa, AZ

Doug Wead has an approach that is somewhere between history, psychology, gossip, inspiration, and side splitting humor. From young Lincoln to Teddy Roosevelt's daughter, it is hard to put this book down. As a fervent reader of history and biographies, I got not only what I expected, i.e., insight into the family legacies left by our nation's leaders, but also, a very funny, sometimes almost irreverent yet touching narrative with the most unexpected protagonists. Obviously, it's not easy growing up as a President's kid. Weads depiction of historical facts and events is a wonderful time machine that brings us into the most intimate moments and secrets of the anterooms of power. I'd like to get my hands on other books Wead wrote.

A MUST READ FOR ALL AMERICAN HISTORY BUFFS, February 19, 2003 - Reviewer: Leslie (see more about me) from Independence, MO

Doug Wead, in "All the Presidents'Children," has written a masterful book that is enticing, insightful, and brings vivid color and understanding of our American Presidents through their offspring. The lives of these children range from thrilling to tragic. It matters whom these children were, whether their youth brought smiles to the population (the adorable baby Ruth Cleveland who died too young, the vibrant Caroline and John Kennedy, Jr. who helped our nation heal) or their earnest commitment to social causes, internationalism, democracy, faith, and sacrifice (Margaret Woodrow Wilson) formed a covenant of peace with nations such as France.

This book will fascinate, inspire awe, and be passed from one generation to the next. It is perfect family reading and a must for all history buffs. Each story is riveting. Each life was worthwhile and deserves our attention. Only a storyteller with the insight and sensitivity of Doug Wead could bring dignity to these distinguished and often beloved children. It truly is a "MUST READ!"

Something for everyone!, March 4, 2003 - Reviewer: A reader from Sacramento, California

Doug Wead's book on Presidential Children has something for everyone. It's a must-read for all History buffs... well researched, hundreds of references and source notes, facts not found in other books!
Parents will discover how to raise successful kids!
Teachers will find it an extremely helpful resourse book when teaching about our presidents. It brings the Presidential families to life. Ladies, there's a whole chapter dedicated to WH weddings.
It's a well written, entertaining, & educational book with something for all!

A Superb Inside Look at Presidential Families, February 26, 2003 -
Reviewer: PSchweizer from Tallahassee, FL USA

This work has two great strengths. First the material is fascinating and includes stories that have been rarely told before. Second the author clearly has an insider's knowledge of what life in the White House is like. The fact that Wead served as an advisor to former President Bush and worked with the current President Bush makes it particularly inviting. I highly recommend it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,237 • Replies: 3
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 03:10 pm
bbb : thanks for a great write-up! when we get back from holidays(mid-april) i'll have to submit a request to the purchasing committee at the local library for the books you mentioned. they are usually pretty good in responding to purchase requests. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 04:47 pm
bbb ; i decided to print out your submission so i'll have the article handy when we get back from vacation. also have to admit that i did not fully read your article online. now i can sit back and read it in its entirety. hope a discussion will start up! hbg
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 12:32 am
Thanks bb, my favorite poster of the month. I post the listings to BookTV over in the Book Forum - I'm sure CSpan2 will repeat that program in the future. They showed it two or three times this weekend.
0 Replies