How far in the hole are you?

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:05 pm
How much revolving debt are you in? Obviously this is a "poll-based" question so you don't have to post it.

In case you don't know, revolving debt does NOT include: vehicle loans, mortgages, ect. It's credit cards, Plasma TV payment from Best Buy, ect. Also include personal loans, since it's basically a cash loan for nothing in particular.

Or if you have any fun debt stories, like how you've been buried but got out, feel free to share. When I was in college, as an 18 year old freshman, getting two credit cards with $0 income was an awesome idea. I had no idea what building credit, or "collection agency" meant until I already buried myself. Paid the collection agencies off a few years later... those accounts were just wiped from my bureau this year. Took forever.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,125 • Replies: 42
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:18 pm
I'm in about $3k worth of debt. That's fairly significant given what I earn. Most of the beyong-pay-checkspeanding I do is to keep my damned (but cute) pets alive and happy.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:32 pm
Zero debt at my place. Paid cash for the house and car. Pay off the one card before the due date. I attribute it to my Russian grandparents who thought the Czar's debtor's prision still existed in America. I didn't even get a credit card until I was almost 30 because of debt phobia. I'm also rather frugal. I believe in quality not quantity. I am also one of those rare people who does not enjoy shopping. I inherited most of my furniture and if I need clothing I prefer to order from a catalog or on-line. I can't remember the last time I was in a mall. I also tend to just pay cash if I do buy something in a store.

My grandfather thought going into debt was like selling your soul to Satan and based on what I know about credit card companies, I think he was right.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:37 pm
What the hell? I realized I had an option for $15K+, or actually "I'm screwed."

But it's not there.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:39 pm
I have a mortgage and monthlys but nothing else. I haven't had a credit card since college and I just paid off my Jeep a couple months ago.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:42 pm
My only source of income in college was my credit card and they gave me a free two liter of pepsi and a t-shirt just for applying.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:43 pm
I don't use my credit cards anymore, but I still have a balance I built up from the last couple years. I plan on having them zeroed within the next 3 months. I don't owe a ton of money, but since I'm paying them off in a short time period, I can't wait until those payments disappear.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:45 pm
sublime1 wrote:
My only source of income in college was my credit card and they gave me a free two liter of pepsi and a t-shirt just for applying.

I did pick up a sweet job later in my college career as a Red Lobster waiter, pulling in around $120 a week. Just got me enough food to live, and enough alcohol to kill myself.

One reason I definitely want to be (revolving) debt free is for when I buy a condo/house. Gonna need that extra $$ for the mortgage.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:03 pm
creditcard gets paid off in full every month - owe of the home and teen kids are live revolving debt
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:06 pm
I let the credit cards build up a couple of times when I was between jobs. It's amazing how easy it is to build up debt, and how hard it is to pay off.

Currently debt-free, and planning to stay that way. (crossing fingers, knocking on wood)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:06 pm
Borderline screwed. I think I might have jumped back over $15K recently. Hundreds of old bar tabs, a couple of trips to Europe, a few unfunded cross-country moves, the odd emergency, the odd month or two of blissful unemployment (see: bar tabs).

Have never gone to collections, and will actually be able to zero them out with student loans the next couple of years.

Currently minimally employed, and yet -- credit line recently extended again. Since they already had me by the shorthairs, I can only guess they're wriggling up toward by small intestine by now.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:07 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
sublime1 wrote:

I did pick up a sweet job later in my college career as a Red Lobster waiter, pulling in around $120 a week. Just got me enough food to live, and enough alcohol to kill myself.

One reason I definitely want to be (revolving) debt free is for when I buy a condo/house. Gonna need that extra $$ for the mortgage.

I still can't believe how little money I had in college. What I used to spend in two weeks there I can spend in a bar in a night without blinking an eye.
Then again there were keg parties with three dollar covers...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:12 pm
Anyone else considering bankruptcy before Bush's new law kicks in.

If you are at that point (or even close) you should start now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:14 pm
Hanging on by the skin of our teeth. We had to save money to buy a house. Then we had to buy a house. Then we had to deal with the fact that Mr. Science Genius' calculations as to how much money we'd have per month was about $1,000 off (wrong way.) (Genuinely confusing though, academic year salary vs. summer salary oddities.) Right now both of our credit cards keep nuzzling up towards the limit, and we're waiting for a not-so-bad tax return (mortgage interest deductions rock) to get us through to the promised land of summer salary. I'm also looking for work, network looked promising but nothing's materialized yet, now I'm looking more actively. Just a tiny bit would help.

But the end is, hopefully, in sight, so I can't complain too much.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:22 pm
I'm somewhere between 10 and 15 thousand in debt. About 10 grand is from when I was providing for two (and neither of us in much of a mind state to live sensibly), on a definitely 1-person type of salary. The rest is from having a bit of a hole in my hand in the first place. Oh, and thats all without my student loans, I havent got a clue how much that is.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:41 pm
ask me in half an hour
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:45 pm
Quote:
The rest is from having a bit of a hole in my hand in the first place.

Wow. Stigmata. You could cash in on that, bo.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:58 pm
Interesting poll results.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:14 pm
I'm allergic to money. My better half now controls all of our cash flow, and for the first time that I can remember we are actually saving towards retirement.
I'm still paying off student loans and my ex wife.

I'll be paying for that last one till the day I die.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 09:51 pm
Save marginally more of the income than I spend. I make heavy use of credit cards and pay them off monthly.
0 Replies