• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 674 • Replies: 24
No top replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 11:48 am
@chai2,
Was yours covered with Tasmanian opossum skin?
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 02:11 pm
@blatham,
Huh?
Sturgis

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 02:58 pm
Fear of water (drowning actually) kept me clear of them.
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 03:49 pm
@Sturgis,
Really?

Or are you joking?

No way you could drown sleeping on one. Even if it sprung a leak, you would just end up with wet sheets and pajamas.

Back in the day when they were popular I heard ( could be an urban legend, I’ll look it up) that someone was trying to empty one and the mattress sloshed over and trapped him underneath and he suffocated. I remember thinking how horrible that would be.

It never woke me up when someone got in or out of bed. Or if it did it was one of those kinda slightly being conscious. If I was awake an some got in or out, it would just be a gentle rocking. Actually soothing.

The only bad experience I had with a waterbed was when I slept in one where the owner hadn’t bothered with the heating element. Woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I was having hypothermia. That was really awful.

Usually though it’s nice and warm and really really comfortable if it’s filled properly. I would sleep very deeply.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 03:54 pm
@chai2,
Kind of joking. They for some reason make me nervous. (Maybe that nearly drowning incident at summer camp contributed).
Didn't know there was a heating element.
chai2

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 04:03 pm
@Sturgis,
My verdict re being killed under waterbed....urban legend.

Oh yeah, the water has to be heated. It’s not hot in the summer though. Just nice and cozy.

Looking around briefly, it seems today’s waterbeds don’t move much. The big thing is that it conforms to your body, making for no pressure points.

Personally I like the rocking. I remember shifting myself on purpose to get the water moving back and forth. It was like being rocked in a cradle. I think stories of sea wickedness were grossly exaggerated too.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 04:21 pm
I had one before - loved the heating element for the winter and then it would feel cooler in the summer (of course I had the heating element off in the summer).

I had cats then too - with claws! Never had a leak though.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 04:49 pm

downstairs neighbors had one, so my sister and i used to hang out there a lot.

have a vivid memory of laying on it -- on my stomach -- and watching Land of the Giants... Very Happy
BillRM

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 05:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

downstairs neighbors had one, so my sister and i used to hang out there a lot.

have a vivid memory of laying on it -- on my stomach -- and watching Land of the Giants... Very Happy

So you was watching a sci-fic tv show on a bed design by one of the most respected sci fiction author during the golden age of science fiction Robert Heinlein

Quote:
Like most science fiction novels, Heinlein's stories took place in dystopian futures and were rife with descriptions of futuristic gadgets. However, Heinlein's descriptions of the waterbed were so detailed that Charles Hall was denied a patent for a waterbed in 1968 because Heinlein owned the intellectual property. In Heinlein's Expanded Universe he says ""I designed the waterbed during years as a bed patient in the middle thirties as an attempt to design the perfect hospital bed by one who had spent too damn much time in hospital beds."
Quote:
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2019 06:58 pm
We need to bring the waterbed back!

Only this time we'll make it gluten free.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 01:59 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Huh?

According to that dandy little waterbed documentary you've provided for us, Hugh Hefner was rumored to have had a waterbed covered in opossum fur. Did I watch more than I was supposed to?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 02:08 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
have a vivid memory of laying on it -- on my stomach -- and watching Land of the Giants...

Sure you aren't thinking of Land of the Tight Mohair Sweaters ?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 02:21 am
Always makes me think of Steptoe and son.

blatham

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 03:12 am
@izzythepush,
There's two minutes of my life I'm not going to get back.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 06:15 am
@blatham,
There was a whole programme beforehand setting up the gag.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 07:45 am
Watching Rodney Dangerfield the other night and he told a cracking waterbed joke along the lines of '' My wife's so cold her side of the waterbed is frozen''.

Waterbed gag at 7 mins.
blatham

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 01:21 pm
@izzythepush,
I truly love most Brit writing and humor. Phoebe Waller-Bridge being a current example. Or Spike Milligan. Monty Python. Etc etc

But there's a genre that doesn't ring my bells (I have two). The Carry On films, for example or Benny Hill being exemplars. From the brief video above, I'd place it in this category.

By the by, did you know that Michael Jackson was a huge fan of Benny Hill and brought him to Neverland to visit.

If God said to me, "Listen up, Bernie. I've got a proposition for you. I will let you live forever if one half of your forever is spent listening to the conversations those two guys engaged in". I'd thank him for the kind offer and tell him to go **** himself.
blatham

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 01:28 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
One of my favorite jokes (probably in the top 20) was Dangerfield's line,
Quote:
When I was born I was so ugly that the doctor slapped my mother.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2019 01:38 pm
@blatham,
I don't like Benny Hill or Carry On either. Steptoe and son was nothing like that. It was written by Galton and Simpson. Don't judge them on the last two minutes of one show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galton_and_Simpson

1. Forums
  2. » Remember the waterbed?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 07:31:18