Interesting correlation between God and light...

ajay0

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 10:48 am
Hello all,

Posting here some interesting observations in the world religions which depict an interesting correlation between God and light....

In Hinduism, the Vedas and Hindu scriptures considers the Shivalinga as representing a pillar of light. The Dharmic monotheistic sect the Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider God to be a point of light.

In Islam, Allah has 100 name's, and one of them is Alnoor ( the Light).

“God is light,” says 1 John 1:5, in the Bible in Christianity.

In Judaism, Psalm 76:4 says of God, “You are radiant with light.”

Thus one can see an interesting correlation between God and light, and which is a common denominator in these four major world religions.

If you find any further proofs or evidences in this regard, please do share it here. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 729 • Replies: 12

rosborne979

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 11:18 am
@ajay0,
This is because most religions are derived from Pagan rituals involving the Sun and celestial objects.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 01:00 pm
@ajay0,
Welcome to Able2know and I hope you stick around.

Light is interesting as a metaphor for insight or an epiphany and is commonly used not just in religious inspiration but commonly in language.
Of course as Alan Watts points out the perception of light is actually composed of bands of light and dark, demonstrating the Buddhist saying that the difference is the identity.

We have to remember that the patriarchy conquered and overthrew all references to the goddess, the physicality or suchness of things and replaced it with thought. We live in a world now dominated by thinking and excluding the importance of the physical and feeling. Religion now, at least organized religion eschews the physicality of things or nature as such. So light refers to thinking about nature and not experience of nature.
As such, prose has replaced poetry.
And religious myths have been interpreted literally as prose instead of metaphorically as poetry.

Remember that the female creates physical beings and the male can only create by thinking, and I think of the daytime as being male and the nighttime as being female.

At one time I had a great phobia of the dark and the night, but I have resolved this and now love the night such as described in this poem Antoine de Saint-Exupery:

Night the Beloved

Night, when words fade and things come alive.
When the destructive analysis of the day is done, and all that is truly important becomes whole and sound again.
When man reassembles his fragmentary self and grows with the calm of a tree.
laughoutlood

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 07:41 pm
@ajay0,
Astonishing, it's as if I see the light from a beautiful star in the firmament which shines upon me at this moment dazzling me a little but filling me with warmth and the extraordinary elation, the euphoria, that happens at the first breath, of a majestic glow, of a new tomorrow.

If the same were said of darkness, flesh, water, flowers and several hundred dozen other nouns, it would be a preposterous prevarication by the naysayers of this revelation of the incontrovertible nexus between god and light.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 10:16 pm
@coluber2001,
I much prefer the night to day coluber
Yes, much more calm, the light creates too many distractions.

Like laughoutloud said, that's where there are stars. It's like an open window where you can see so much farther, rather than having the blinds drawn by the sun.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:01 am
@chai2,
Maybe this poem expresses it:

I was wedded to all the stars of the sky.
There was not a single star left,
and I married every one of them
with great spiritual pleasure.
Then I married the moon.

Ibn Arabi

There is something there, and I'm not sure what.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:04 am
@chai2,
I think there's a strong connection between daytime and thought and ego defence. I think at night you don't have to think as much, which is meditation. Not that thinking is anti-meditation, just that identifying with your thoughts is anti-meditation. It's difficult to put your finger on, but that's where the Antoine de Saint-Exupery poem comes in, the poem that seems to express it so well.

I've always tried to come to grips with the Western world's anti-nature, anti-female, and anti-snake attitude-- the snake being an ancient female symbol of nature, the physical. I think they're all related and connected. They're all expressions of the same mindset underpinned by our anti-nature, patriarchal religious heritage. And it seems to be especially rampant in the United States for some reason, even with our widespread education system.
chai2

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 12:35 am
@coluber2001,
Re the anti female, I don't know if someone said it here, or even if I said it (I'm sure not me), but someone mentioned something like women must be very powerful if men have to put so much effort into trying to keep them down.

About the religious stuff, it occured to me the other day that angels are demoted gods.

We all know that the Virgin Mary is simply Gaia, or goddesses in general, that were pushed down into a more acceptable role, and with only one child, rather than mother to everything. So why not angels?
coluber2001

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 01:09 am
@chai2,
Yeah, I think the Virgin Mary is the only version of the Goddess that is left in Christianity. Certainly nothing comparable in protestantism that I can think of.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2019 01:56 pm
@coluber2001,
What about Magdalen? Some groups believe she was the real prophet, Jesus was just her mouthpiece.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2019 02:14 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't know about Mary Magdalene, that is, I don't know who she is. But the Virgin Mary is not a person she's a personification of the achievement of people realizing their spiritual nature, a spiritual, nonphysical rebirth, that is.

"We are all born as animals and live the life that animals live: we sleep, eat, reproduce, and fight. There is, however, another order of living, which the animals do not know, that of awe before the mystery of being ... that can be the root and branch of the spiritual sense of one’s days. That is the birth - the Virgin Birth - in the heart of a properly human, spiritual life."

Joseph Campbell
chai2

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2019 02:46 pm
@coluber2001,
Really?

You don't know/never heard of Mary Magdalene?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Magdalene
coluber2001

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2019 03:43 pm
@chai2,
Yeah, I've heard of her, but I don't know enough about her to comment. I wasn't raised as a Christian, but I'm familiar with a lot of the names and images.
0 Replies