Change one letter in the word above (7 LETTERS)

BillW

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2024 03:36 am
@P E Dant,
Premier
P E Dant

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2024 10:15 pm
@BillW,
Premise
BillW

Reply Mon 3 Jun, 2024 11:19 pm
@P E Dant,
promise
terioptic

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2024 04:28 pm
@BillW,
simpers
P E Dant

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2024 06:25 pm
@terioptic,
Spiders
BillW

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2024 10:15 pm
@P E Dant,
dippers
P E Dant

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2024 01:26 am
@BillW,
Shipped
BillW

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2024 02:51 am
@P E Dant,
hippies
terioptic

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2024 06:03 am
@BillW,
shipper
BillW

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2024 07:05 am
@terioptic,
pippers
P E Dant

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2024 05:56 pm
@BillW,
Whoa! Bill! I haven't heard that word in YEARS! Good one! I knew you were ex-military from previous posts you have made... isn't it strange the words and things we remember!

Sippers
BillW

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2024 06:22 pm
@P E Dant,
slipper
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2024 07:20 pm
@P E Dant,
P E Dant wrote:

Whoa! Bill! I haven't heard that word in YEARS! Good one! I knew you were ex-military from previous posts you have made... isn't it strange the words and things we remember!

I only spend 2 years in the Army with just one Drill and Ceremony type parade in Class A uniforms and that was for Basic Training Graduation. Can't even remember if there was a Fife and Drum Corp present? Probably was, I do remember a full Marching Band.
P E Dant

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2024 06:22 pm
@BillW,
Skipper

@Bill - I only spend 2 years in the Army with just one Drill and Ceremony type parade in Class A uniforms and that was for Basic Training Graduation. Can't even remember if there was a Fife and Drum Corp present? Probably was, I do remember a full Marching Band

That would be PIPERS! Smile

A PIPPER is the centre or 'bead' of a round gun sight

BillW

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2024 07:42 pm
@P E Dant,
P E Dant wrote:

@Bill - I only spend 2 years in the Army with just one Drill and Ceremony type parade in Class A uniforms and that was for Basic Training Graduation. Can't even remember if there was a Fife and Drum Corp present? Probably was, I do remember a full Marching Band

That would be PIPERS! Smile

A PIPPER is the centre or 'bead' of a round gun sight

Yeah, I say that as I was looking up "piper" after my reply. I don't remember once hearing the term "pipper". In fact, I don't remember ever using a "round" gun sight, but I know what you are writing about. We were taught on open gun sights and putting as much lead down range as fast as possible. Also, accuracy at 100 to 250 yards and how to estimate that distance - it makes a lot of difference.

I think "round" gun sights was a tool used for a "marksman" (not to be confused with the shooting efficiency rating) who is called into the field for use of their expert shooting skills.

With an open sight, one lines up the "bead" at the front end of the barrel in the "v" sight at the end of the barrel. How high or low one places the "bead in i

BillW

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2024 07:53 pm
@P E Dant,
gippers
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2024 08:08 pm
@BillW,
(continued from above)

How high or low one places the "bead" in the "v" takes care of the rising of the bullet over the first two hundred yards or the lowering of the bullet there after. We only did this at basic training when we used M-14 rifles - highly accurate weapons. In AIT we used M-16's and training for jungle.warfare (for the most part, action would be right in front of you are distances of less than 30-40 yards). M-16's were also noted for their inaccuracy at much longer distances.

One cheat they taught us was, when in doubt aim low. The targets were mounted on mounds and if you skipped a bullet in there, it would bounce up and hit the target.
P E Dant

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2024 06:00 pm
@BillW,
Gripper

@ Bill - One cheat they taught us was, when in doubt aim low. The targets were mounted on mounds and if you skipped a bullet in there, it would bounce up and hit the target.

We were told 'Imagine the target is the Sergeant-Major' Smile
BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2024 05:39 am
@P E Dant,
dripper
P E Dant

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2024 06:21 pm
@BillW,
Dripped