Spelling and Fair Play

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:04 am
on one of our threads (now locked) there's been a lot of hammering on a particular poster because of their misspelling and it kind of turned into a feeding frenzy over that more than disagreement over the topics being discussed.

just wanted to say that i don't really think that's a fair tactic. we do ourselves and our causes a disservice when we attack the person rather than the idea.

i don't think i've been doing that on a2k, but if i have, i offer my apologies.

dtom
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,060 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Sanctuary

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:07 am
It's more of a tactic to prove someone's weaknesses. We disagree with them, and they keep feeding our ammo of defense, and so we use all that we can.

I too took part in insulting the person's views as well as spellings; the latter merely because the thread had deteriorated from an intellectual debate into a flimsy comedy-show.

I won't apologize, but my last post (concerning spelling) has since been deleted off the thread by Moderators, so I'm assuming I shouldn't start up again.

What can you do - we all get out of hand - personally, I've seen some situations here and on other forums that go beyond extreme. I just hope I'm never involved in one of those scenarios.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:21 am
Yes - bad spelling is annoying, but a foolish thing to attack someone for, I think.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:27 am
I don't know if this refers to me, but one clown who had no argument had spelled my name wrong. I asked that he/she/it have the courtesy to spell the name correctly, noting that although it is a small thing, it has a good deal of social freight. For this, i was accused of being a "spelling Nazi." There are times when it is not inappropriate to mention spelling. Furthermore, there are times when the spelling is so bad as to make the words unrecognizable, or to make any attempt to extract meaning futile.

There are times when criticizing spelling is petty. There are other times when it is very germaine. As with all things in life, rules regarding this behavior cannot be carved in stone.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:56 am
Did you mean "germane"?

Heehee.

It is not about you, btw.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:04 am
I'm a retired English teacher with active dyslexia. I love Spellcheck.

Misspellings annoy me, patricularly when the poster is also guilty of intellectual arrogance and shallow thinking.

Ad hominem attacks are even more annoying. I can understand the temptation, but feel the temptation should be resisted.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:07 am
I can resist anything except temptation.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:08 am
Sometimes, when I look at my posts, I am appalled. It is not so much the lack of spelling knowledge, but the typos that make my writing look like that of a 9th grade dropout.

I, quick like a bunny, attempt to fix the mistakes before another member posts. Invariably, my worst typing gaffes happen when the A2K hamster in charge of such things is on a coffee break.

I think that the way that a person comes across in writing says a lot about the person, including what he thinks about himself.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:17 am
Without spellcheck and microsoft word I may as well stay off the boards. I still manage to misspell a lot of words though.

Although with names all you have to copy and paste it on the post. I do it all the time.

I do think at times people around here are a tad hung up on these things. But I will agree that a sentence like this could be really annoying to read and fairly easy to correct.

"I would appcieate an apolagy."

On this site's spellcheck (which shows up as an error but does not offer suggestions) the only one with suggestions is "apolagy". You would need to go to another program for "apprcieate" which is a lot of trouble to spell it correctly for the "spell nazi's". :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:22 am
dlowan wrote:
Did you mean "germane"?

Heehee.

It is not about you, btw.

I have the habit of using the French spelling, which is, by the way, and acceptable variant spelling in English.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:32 am
Setanta wrote:
I have the habit of using the French spelling, which is, by the way, and acceptable variant spelling in English.

Oh baloney.

Back to the thread. I strive to spell correctly; perhaps because English is my second language and I tend to discount posts that are full of misspellings. But I won't point them out.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:31 am
I say to-may-to, and you say to-mah-to. Who cares?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:34 am
Well, to-may-to is just so WRONG!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:35 am
fruit or vegetable?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:39 am
Fruit.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:42 am
If you have a point to make and want it to be respected and listened to you should at least have the courtesy to click on SpellCheck and make sure you sound as intelligent as you want others to believe you are.

A mistake every now and then is acceptable (because we all do it in a hurry) but when you write a long post with a lot of errors or continually post with spelling errors and terrible grammar, people will become annoyed. It's hard to take the point of someone seriously when they can't even take the 5 seconds to click Spellcheck.

I also think it's difficult to take someone seriously when they abbreviate everything. IM lingo, if you will. I can't stand trying to read someone's post when it is filled with it. Again, abbreviating here and there is fine (we all do it!). But all over the post in every post is just annoying.

But that's just my opinion. Very Happy What do I know?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:43 am
panzade wrote:

Back to the thread. I strive to spell correctly; perhaps because English is my second language and I tend to discount posts that are full of misspellings. But I won't point them out.

It is? Wow. I would have never known...what is your first?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:43 am
Fruit! It has seeds!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:45 am
http://www.answers.com/topic/tomato

dlowan- Harrumph.............click on the speaker.

Quote:
Let's Call the Whole Thing Off
by Ira Gershwin

You say "either" and I say "either"
You say "neither" I say "neither" "
Either" "either", "neither" "neither"
Let's call the whole thing off

You say "potato," I say "patattah"
You say "tomato", I say "creole tomata"
Oh, let's call the whole thing off
Oh, if we call the whole thing off
Then we must part and oh
If we ever part, that would break my heart

So, I say "ursta" you say "oyster"
I'm not gonna stop eatin' urstas just cause you say oyster,
Oh, let's call the whole thing off
Oh, I say "pajamas", you say "pajamas"
Sugar, what's the problem?

Oh, for we know we need each other so
We'd better call the calling off off
So let's call it off, oh let's call it off
Oh, let's call it off, baby let's call it off
Sugar why don't we call it off,
I'm talking baby why call it off
Call it offÂ…
Let's call the whole thing off
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:50 am
Don't you harrumph me, you demned Murrican!!

Youse peepul carnt spell for toffee, and youse torks funny, two!

(And - eye no the song - speaking off spell chequers.)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Spelling and Fair Play
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 11:55:05