merging cat families

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 04:29 pm
Twisted Evil
I have a delicate problem. I am going to get married in June. We have bought a house together, and are moving into it the 29th of March. Here's the problem: I have three cats, and he has two, and they've never met. Any suggestions for how to make this meeting less than hazardous???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,196 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 04:46 pm
Is there anyway you can arrange to have them meet on neutral territory initially - that is, no cat's home?
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 04:49 pm
merging cat families
they will all be meeting at the new house for the first time, and we'll make sure they all arrive at the same time and are let out of their carriers.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 04:52 pm
mags, are the cats buddies within their current groups? any odd men/cats out?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 04:58 pm
How good to see you again, Mags, and congratulations.

I now have three cats and tried several methods of making the introductions. First, I baby sat a kitten in my home. Brought her in in the carrier and left it on the floor while she and Spook got acquainted. No joy. They hissed at each other and didn't get along the entire week. When I added Nermal to the household, I tried giving him the run of the front section of the house which has the litter pan and food, while keeping Spooky in the back. This was better, but had some rough spots. Finally, I brought Barney in and more or less dumped him in the middle of the other two. There were a few hours of conversational hissing, but this seemed to work best. A caveat - all the new cats were fairly young kittens.

Don't worry if the hiss, chase each other, and seem to fight. Cats play kind of rough, and if there is no bloodshed, it's just play.

I haven't followed abuzz in ages, Mags. Have you recovered from the knee operation? Don't be a stranger.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2003 06:35 pm
Roger pretty much covered my suggestions. Congrats on your up coming wedding and your new home and good luck with everything :-)
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 01:11 pm
To ehbeth, roger and gezzy:

Thank you for your advice and for welcoming me here! I think we are going to take them all to the house in carriers at the same time. Then we will open the doors and everyone will be on neutral territory.

My knee surgery went great, and, after much work and three months, I returned to work full time. The knee is wonderful, no pain, and I can walk anywhere, up and down stairs, etc.

The marriage proposal happened in December. Richard and I have been together for three years, and have decided to make it official in front of friends and family. We have bought a house together and are moving at the end of the month.

See you around, guys! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 01:56 pm
Fabulous news. Thanks for making my day, Mags.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 02:04 pm
Yay, mags is here! :-D And with excellent news! Congratulations!

Can't say as I know anything about the equivalent of creating a cat Brady Bunch. Best of luck!
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 01:32 pm
Very Happy Hi there, Jespah!

Brady Bunch, indeed! I think I'm a lot more nervous about this cat merger than I am either the move or the wedding.

Glad to see you, girl!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:15 pm
Hey! Mags!
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:38 pm
Very Happy

Hey yourself, sealpoet!!!So glad to see you!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 05:17 am
See me? Let me adjust my avatar...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 05:43 am
Great to see you, too, mags! :-D
0 Replies