Drugs and Addiction

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 02:00 am
What amount of drug use is acceptable? Are recreational drugs dangerous? What exactly defines what a drug is?

Why are so many people dying of drug use? Which kinds of drugs are good for you and necessary?

How does the body respond to most drugs? What is a safe amount of drug use?

Should drugs be used to "get high"? Can many addictions create false illusions? What are some of the reasons some people use to justify taking drugs?

Can drugs hinder a person's ability to succeed in a chosen field or occupation in life?

At what point should drugs be used for pain?

Can drugs cause one to lie and deceive themselves?

Are drugs pushed by some doctors and many advertisements that often lead to addiction and eventually overdose and death?

In this time when so many people of all ages are dying from drug addiction and overuse, I think an in-depth and HONEST discussion about drugs may help some people so they are "able2know" if it might be time for a change. Either a time to never start taking some drugs or a time to stop taking drugs may be necessary to survive and thereby live a healthy and happy life.

Please do not hold anything back. Speak frankly so that others can know the truth about drugs and the help or harm they pose to those who use and/or abuse them.

If you have a personal story or a story about someone else or you just want to speak your opinion about the subject... here is the place to let it all out.

This discussion covers prescription drugs, alcohol, stimulants (including caffeine), supplements and alternative forms of medicine, anything that can become a disorder or addiction.

I will be adding my own thoughts also... Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any testimony and insight that you may add to this discussion. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,302 • Replies: 14
No top replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 04:03 am
People interchange the words medicine and drugs as if they are the same thing. Medicine is supposed to cure something, while drugs claim a broader sense. Then you have medicine that is called, placebo, fake medicine. Then you have drugs that end life rather than prolong it; poisons... There is the idea that nearly everything including oxygen and even sunshine are poisons, because they place oxidative stress on our human cell biology. It seems everything will kill us, so many say. There must be a spring of life that exists and the waters thereof where healing and wellness can be obtained by simply drinking the elixir of its free flowing fountain. TC

0 Replies

Sarlav

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 09:15 am
@TheCobbler,
Drugs are necessary but it's about drug misuse that's the concern, I have seen it I have been in a relationship with a drug addict who came out of it and now we are split after 13 years he has been back in prison for violence and now his drug of choice is alcohol. His children now grown boys want nothing to do with him and he has an IPP (in public protection). So he can end up back in prison at any . I see too many people on our streets high from mamba and dying from mamba so no drugs are not recreational innate that word, drugs like weed are a gage way drug. Too many people profit from drugs the pharmaceutical companies depend on it and they rely on people being sick for their profit where there's a cure. It's about drug misuse and the lack of help and support for people should be focused on and education.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 09:18 am
I knew something was wrong and I found out today, my cousin's 21 year old son died the day before Valentine's Day tripping on acid. People just don't care about the death by drugs in this country.

Saving people by trying to mentor them in a blog is a bad idea I guess.

...and I don't need any sympathy, I am not the one dead.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 10:06 am
Kids messing around with drugs may think they are invincible and will take anything to get high. These bad trips can result in deaths or near death experiences. You would think that people would stop and learn, but many repeat their behavior.

There are unintended, accidental drug overdoses that result in death. We hear about all the time, Michael Jackson come to mind.

I know people who have to have a drink(s) to function during the day and/or need to smoke pot all day. After a while, the choice is realky gone since the body demands the narcotic or alcohol. Detox is awful.

So “addiction” can be physical or psychological - but we know the body will only take so much. Some like to live on the edge, others draw out the experience over a long time.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 11:26 pm
People are too deluded to come to grips that they are addicted to unnecessary prescription drugs. They are too ashamed or in denial to admit they ever had or have a drug problem. They are oblivious as to what these unnecessary drugs do to their bodies.

The only way to combat the availability and pressure to take these drugs in to stress that recovery is a better way to I live.

Serenity is much better than being high on happy pills...
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 11:30 pm
Be very careful this thread does to hit the popular page! Someone who desperately needs help might see it! (cynical)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 12:54 am
I'll get back to this in the next few days. As well as my history of a drunken past, being in a stupor for days, even weeks ago time, I have a small interactive past with prescribed medications which sort of presented a problem.
0 Replies

Ponderer

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2019 08:40 pm
@TheCobbler,
I don't know if this answers any of your questions. It is just something I heard about drug addiction, and it is something that is rarely discussed. The "coming down" from a drug high is often what causes the addiction. It's not just the body craving more of the drug, it is the person feeling so bad coming down from the high that they take more to keep from feeling that way.
TheCobbler

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2019 12:21 am
@Ponderer,
I think in many cases if not all cases you are right Ponderer. The effects of these strong drugs (including alcohol and caffeine) can take many months to get out of one's system. Serenity from drug addiction can take years to achieve but it is a better high and well worth pursuing. Something about cell "receptors" and addiction and the liver which is chemically changed by having to metabolize large quantities of these substances that can lead to a cycle of behavior.

We are shown what addiction is like up close in our culture but much less are we shown the life of a person who is enjoying life exemplified in a healthy and strong recovery...

Focus on recovery not the addiction itself.

For someone who is quitting smoking, focus on breathing clean air and being able to smell again... Try not to focus on how much money you wasted buying cigarettes and other smokeable substances.

A person recovering already knows what addiction is like but they are less likely to know how nice a life of sobriety can be.

Look ahead, not back...
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 07:52 am
Half of tobacco and vape shops don't ID teens, undercover research finds
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/24/health/e-cigarette-id-check-study/index.html

The same crazy laws apply for caffeine drinks.

CAFFEINE IS A GATEWAY DRUG!

IDs are not checked at all or even required when these caffeine drinks are purchased and children are ending up in emergency rooms! These are the same people dying from methamphetamine overdoses later in life.

Republicans are making money killing children with these energy drinks just like their guns! Energy drinks sales to minors happened on George W. Bush's watch (a republican).

Documents Link More Deaths to Energy Drinks
CSPI Asks FDA for Labels Warning of Heart Attack, Convulsion, and Other Adverse Reactions Linked to Energy Drinks
https://cspinet.org/news/documents-link-more-deaths-energy-drinks-20140625

Who the hell didn't see this coming? I complained about the easy access to energy drinks on this forum 15 years ago and everyone here on this forum thought I was crazy... Now we are surrounded by death due to the cause of this drug policy.

I approve of energy drinks, the sale for nicotine products and also marijuana products sale but certainly not unregulated! Although I have never bought an energy drink, a vape or recreational marijuana products from a legal vendor and I do not plan to, I do support the freedom for ADULTS to do so.. This all or nothing approach to this apparent crime of selling drugs to children for profit NEEDS TO BE STOPPED!

Anyone caught selling any of these drugs to children needs to be put in jail like what happens with furnishing alcohol to a minor!

Let the for profit prisons finally do something right.
0 Replies

1800autopsy

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 06:14 am
@TheCobbler,
I've heard people say that taking an aspirin a day was good, but I knew that it makes the stomache bleed, so there's nothing good about that.
0 Replies

TooFriendly112

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 09:27 am
@TheCobbler,
Hi

Thankfully drugs and addiction is the main cause of trouble, i.e abuse, relationship problems and prostitution. We no longer have to speculate, people get married and have children and people in need get their help, you know? We have to stay outside of problems and not mix with these people. They've also earned their freedom.

/TooFriendly112
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 11:55 am
Vapers lungs do not take too well to cherry flavored arsenic.

VAPERS, BEWARE: CHERRY-FLAVORED E-CIGARETTES CAN BE TOXIC
https://www.newsweek.com/cherry-flavored-e-cigarettes-harmful-421145

Comment:
Who didn't see this coming?

Sturgis

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2019 02:26 pm
@TheCobbler,
As soon as the vaping craze began, I figured it was going to turn ugly. Deadly.

Across the board it's clearly dangerous.
Chemical compounds mixed with a flavor and all of that goes right on into the lungs.

Get the nicotine vape and the addictiveness compels the vape thingy user to keep sucking away. Blood pressure shoots higher, light headedness comes along, the vape user keels over. If luck is with them, they arrive at a hospital in time. Hopefully before the coronary or a stroke (or both).

Call the coroner! Make sure the life insurance is paid up!

Vaping also pumps several bits of delicious heavy metals into the lungs as the heating elements go to work.
0 Replies