Do I believe my therapist or my gut?

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 11:34 am
Been on and off with same guy for several years and have left him for short periods of time and discussed it in advance with my therapist. Last several months have been good with him and maybe because I’m lonely I’ve reconciled. She said she is concerned about me being with him again and I should think about all the bad stuff with the good stuff too.
I’ve been seeing her for 7 years. He’s lied in the past about money issues but that appears to be over.
Should I really focus on what she’s saying?

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 11:49 am
@uncertainty400,
It's safe to say that you've given your therapist far more details on your past and current relationship that you've dropped here. We literally shouldn't even try to answer your question on how little you've told us.

From this immediate perspective? Trust your therapist. She or he has a greater bigger picture understanding than we ... and possibly you (due to emotional bias).
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 11:58 am
@uncertainty400,
You should use your brain, particularly the rational part of your brain. Ask yourself honestly if this relationship is making your life better and allowing you to grow as a person. The question is whether you would be better off without him.

You should never trust your gut. Guts are irrational and driven by emotions. Guts are very often wrong, that is why we have brains.

You should listen carefully to what you therapist is saying, that is why you have a therapist, and therapists can help you cut through the emotional noise, but ultimately the decision is yours.

Use your brain.
jespah

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 04:01 pm
Glad you're seeing a therapist about this.
https://able2know.org/topic/497162-1#post-6793621
0 Replies

A widow

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 03:05 am
@uncertainty400,
I would agree with 'ucertinaty400.' What you wrote does not equate to years of therapy and reflection . . So the guy lied to you about money. Odds are he has lied to you about many things and is lying to you now.
If you wish to give him the benefit of the doubt - DON'T!
There are many books out there about trust, how to establish it within a relationship. It is something that must be discussed and agreed upon between both parties.
I've been through this business before. I'm going through it now. And, it's not enough to take someone' word for it. Trust is earned. It's a transparency between two people. Truly, it is not a guessing game.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 01:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Your "gut" is your brain. It's certainly not your stomach or intestines.

"Gut instinct" has served humans for hundreds of thousands of years. Obviously not always accurate but in an environment where a mistake means extermination, pretty effective.

Not necessarily relevant to the OP, but your conceit concerning the human brain is foolish
maxdancona

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 02:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The word "gut" implies an feeling that does not involve rational conscious thought. I wasn't really making a comment on physiology. I was saying that making important decisions based on emotions is often a bad thing.

My point was that when it comes to important life decisions, you should be using rational conscious thought informed by input from thoughtful people who don't have as much emotional involvement.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do I believe my therapist or my gut?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:07:33