How do I handle my controlling daughter?

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 07:50 am
My daughter can be very controlling...it's her way or the highway sometimes. In some sense, she is immature (and possibly spoiled), even though she is 26 y/o. She lives with her boyfriend far from home, but she's on my case often about what I eat and who I date. I am a widow so maybe that has something to do with it.
I'm sort of at my wits end. After dating the same man for several years, she has made it clear she really dislikes him and can't see what I see in him. I realize he doesn't have a lot of money (and I'm financially very settled) and that he has had financial issues in the past, but he seems to have recovered and I've know him and his family for many years so he's not some kook out there. Whenever he tries reaching out to her, she freaks and she also freaks when she hears I'm with him. To be transparent, he did get "into trouble" many years ago for a financial matter, and maybe she's ashamed if I'm with him?
She yells and hangs up the phone on me when his name comes up.
I'm happy with him and he has been very good to me and my son. He wants to be part of my family and me be a part of his. I may want to live with him (he already wants to live with me) and I'm not stupid and realize I need to do some legal work to protect my finances.
Other than avoiding his name, I feel that I just need to tell her to back off (nicely but firmly). This is my life not hers and I'm very hurt and disappointed that she is behaving this way.
Does anyone have any other thoughts?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 448 • Replies: 4

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 07:54 am
Your post sounds VERY familiar...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 08:05 am
@Uncertainty,
Young adults in their 20s and even thirties often come to the conclusion that they know far, far more than their parents. My advice would be:
1) avoid fights with her on this matter whenever possible
2) when you talk with her, keep things sunny and light
3) and yes, let her know that this is your life to lead as her life is her's to lead. Try to get this point across without negative emotions from yourself regardless of how she responds.

I think she'll have to grow out of this phase. In the meantime, just don't allow her to pull you into arguments. Good luck.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 11:50 am
Golly you never learn, do ya?
https://able2know.org/topic/490300-1#post-6765312
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 07:51 am
@jespah,
How do you know it's not a pandemic of bad daughters (on scale of a zombie apocalypse)?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How do I handle my controlling daughter?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 07:05:18