0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:54 pm
the clash
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 09:03 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Since Pink Floyd isn't mentioned in the poll, I assume this thread shall soon be sent over to the Humor forum?

Platters were the outright best. Pink Floyd, Queen, and a few others might have been close...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 09:48 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Since Pink Floyd isn't mentioned in the poll, I assume this thread shall soon be sent over to the Humor forum?

Platters were the outright best. Pink Floyd, Queen, and a few others might have been close...

Like the "Sixteen Candles" Platters?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:33 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

no, more probably the "Only You, Great Pretender, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, Twilight Time" Platters. Question
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:36 pm
yitwail wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

no, more probably the "Only You, Great Pretender, Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, Twilight Time" Platters. Question

"Great Pretender," okay, it's all coming back.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 06:55 am
Let's just give a few props here to many rock gods through the years.

Elvis showed that not all white boys were Frankie Avalon or Fabian and opened the eyes of white kids everywhere to R&B. Actually did mix black R&B and Gospel with country and came up with something new. A musical and social phenomenon
and one hell of an asphalt contractor. He paved the road to perdition the rest of us have been following.
The Beatles made rock a real musical art form.
The Stones First band to sign a management deal with Satan
Hendrix and Cream guitar god originators
Black Sabbath for those who liked drugs but didn't believe in that peace and love bullshit. Invented Heavy.
Led Zeppelin invented rock and roll as masturbation and crafted beautiful works even if Page was too fuc*ing drunk to play them live
Yes the logical extension of The Beatles true innovators in technology and broadened the possibilities of rock as art.
Pink Floyd the true purveyors of acid rock. If you never did any acid you never really got Pink Floyd no matter what you think.
ELP showed you could rock without guitars.
Judas Priest The Sabs may have invented heavy but Priest defined Metal.
Van Halen Eddie took rock guitar up another notch and Diamond Dave is Diamond Dave and that's enough.
Steve Vai. Guitar God. Period.
Aerosmith. I'm not sure why but they are on the list. Great catalog. Survivors.
The original Allman Brother Band. First album and Live at Fillmore are absolutely brilliant. Started the Southern rock genre. rednecks need self esteem too.
All Hair metal bands because I got laid so much in those days.
Then came Nirvana and the painful birth of angst rock. You're rich you ass hole. Buy some shampoo.
Since then a few stand outs. Tool, uh, tool, uh let's see tool, uh, that's about it.

Honorable mention to Robert Fripp and King Crimson for being Sooooooo heavy, and the Dead for those cool tshirts and for hanging out with Ken Kesey.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:22 am
bvt, great list & commentary. ii can't disagree with any of it although 'd find room for the Who & the Doors perhaps, and certainly Bob Dylan, if only for his immense influence. i'd also like a reggae representative: Bob Marley is an obvious choice, although i suppose the Police would do as a substitute.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:31 am
yitwail wrote:
bvt, great list & commentary. ii can't disagree with any of it although 'd find room for the Who & the Doors perhaps, and certainly Bob Dylan, if only for his immense influence. i'd also like a reggae representative: Bob Marley is an obvious choice, although i suppose the Police would do as a substitute.

Have to agree with ya. Bob marley is in a class by himself. The Police were a great substitute for white club goers who wanted to be trendy but weren't 100% comfortable with those negroes and their funny looking hair. And their moms and dads would give them money for a Police concert but not a Bob marley show. Rolling Eyes So I guess the Police may have served somewhat the same roll for reggae that Elvis served for R&B. Sort of homogenized and safened it for little Trevor. A good result regardless of the strictly money making intentions of the music biz machine.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 02:55 pm
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000594YM.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sometimes you have to wait 30 or 40 years to really judge a rock band's greatness. Well time's up for Love and Arthur Lee. And Forever Changes is a great album that compares favorably with Sgt Peppers and Smile by The Beach Boys.
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 03:13 pm
why put this as a poll? and why ask the best rock band ever?

when you have completely disregarded the likes of guns n roses, the stones and led zeppelin whilst including def leppard, you ought to rename your poll; out of the bands listed, who is your favourite rock band. therfore making respondants happier and leaving the topic open for people to discuss their real favourite.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:10 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
yitwail wrote:

Have to agree with ya. Bob marley is in a class by himself. The Police were a great substitute for white club goers who wanted to be trendy but weren't 100% comfortable with those negroes and their funny looking hair. And their moms and dads would give them money for a Police concert but not a Bob marley show. Rolling Eyes So I guess the Police may have served somewhat the same roll for reggae that Elvis served for R&B. Sort of homogenized and safened it for little Trevor. A good result regardless of the strictly money making intentions of the music biz machine.

...and a similar role to Eminem. Except that Eminem wasn't/isn't a manufactured pop whore like Elvis or the police. He might also be as greedy and money-driven as the others, but in hip-hop that is perfectly acceptable. Razz
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:41 am
whore is too strong a word to use in describing Elvis and Sting, IMO. maybe they weren't originators, but I do believe they were talented performers who genuinely enjoyed what they were doing, which just happened to make oodles of money. most likely there were more talented performers that didn't achieve the same wordly success, but that's mostly on account of public taste and prejudice; i wouldn't fault Sting & Elvis for that.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 09:40 am
I nominate Nickelback for WORST band ever.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:35 am
yitwail wrote:
whore is too strong a word to use in describing Elvis and Sting, IMO. maybe they weren't originators, but I do believe they were talented performers who genuinely enjoyed what they were doing, which just happened to make oodles of money. most likely there were more talented performers that didn't achieve the same wordly success, but that's mostly on account of public taste and prejudice; i wouldn't fault Sting & Elvis for that.

Maybe Sting and Elvis weren't greedy - maybe it was just their record companies that were greedy. But somebody was greedy - when average music like that becomes incredibly popular, you've got to be suspicious. I think Sting and Elvis were in it for the money, not the music. Public taste and prejudice is governed by the record companies.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 11:41 am
Whatever happened to the Chili Peppers? They used to be good, when they were crazy funk-punk dudes on heroin in the 80s, ripping-off Gang of Four.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:06 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Whatever happened to the Chili Peppers? They used to be good, when they were crazy funk-punk dudes on heroin in the 80s, ripping-off Gang of Four.

They're good now, just different. Anthony's voice is a bit **** though really isn't it...
0 Replies