Crone Flower Child needs help E-shopping for New Wardrobe

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 06:55 pm
Noddy - I sense that what you really need is a trip to NYC, where we can find some hippie threads of the best cotton quality.

Say, in about two weeks.

I've noticed that hippie threads are very trendy right now, so we should be able to find some great knock-offs on Canal Street. Do you have a cane you could swing at people who won't back off from my pointed elbows?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:59 am
Noddy24 wrote:
...Ms. Olga--

Local thrift shops are...um....polyester sells...

Oh, what a shame, Noddy!
If ever I'm desperate to make a good impression (interview situation, etc) & don't have bulk $$$$ to throw about, my local ones are the first place I consider! Great for more expensive pre-loved clothes than I could ever afford (new) in a million years! I often wonder just WHY some women throw away such expensive clothing? Did they suddenly put on oodles of weight, or something? Confused Mind you, I don't make a habit of indulging in too many items of such attire. It confuses people near to me who wonder if I'm getting upperty all of a sudden! Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 07:39 am
Hippie threads are definately back in style. We have a throwback store that isn't really a throwback because they've been in business since the late 60s. They're doing a very nice business all of a sudden. My daughters are wearing clothes from there including the patch pants and skirts that Phoenix's site had. They're very comfortable. I like the batik skirts at Soz's link.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 09:10 am
Ms. Olga--

When I wear clothes in the present, they become part of my past and I feel a bit aggrieved when they become too tattered to wear in public.

Some people wear clothes only in the present and have no qualms about abandoning garments. I'd bet your clothes aren't "pre-loved". I bet that they were delighted and overwhelmed to find their first affectionate owner.

J_R--

Does your daughter's generation take credit for having invented "hip" or for resurrecting '60's fashions? Or is the '60's too-too last millennium?

Boomerang--

One of these days....miles to go, but one of these days.....

EhBeth--

I'm juggling and nagging and trying to plan....NYC is much more likely this spring than Portland, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 09:42 am
Noddy in the Village
Noddy in the Village

<doin' a happy happy shimmy shake>
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 09:45 am
Noddy24 wrote:

J_R--

Does your daughter's generation take credit for having invented "hip" or for resurrecting '60's fashions? Or is the '60's too-too last millennium?

No, it's an interesting culture within the schools. There are numerous styles, depending on which group you hang out with. Everything including all black goth, hippie, prep, 'I don't give a sh*t', and designer everything including shoes and handbags. As far as those who wear the hippie clothes taking credit for the style, they are definitely connecting with the 60s culture of peace and love. I'm amazed how similar these kids are to when I was in high school during the Vietnam War days.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:45 am
Did anyone mention Gypsy Rose?
http://www.gypsyrose.com/clothing.asp
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 01:35 pm
Synonymph--

Gypsy Rose looks very interesting. Did you know that Gypsy Rose Lee, the stripper, also wrote two very good murder mysteries?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:33 pm
Many thanks to all.

I enlisted a vigorous clothing shopper to take me to the malls for Sunday-Go-To-Meeting conventional wear. My shattered nerves are mending.

Then I shopped catalogues and the on line sites for my Flower Child Gone To Seed clothing and found a mess of tie dye t-shirts and dashikis--all on sale.

This week the game is "Wait for the Postal Person" (or Fed Ex. and the UPS truck).

I'm going to be a Bird of Paradise at my 45th College Reunion next month.

Again, many thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:41 pm
Noddy, it's all your fault. I noticed you mentioned dashikis on another thread, and thought, hmmm; googled them and saw that wasn't what I was thinking of. Remembered caftans (I made a few of those myself years ago) and googled caftans; the smithsonian shopping site came up.
http://www.smithsonianstore.com/home.asp

You would probably not like them since I noticed that but for one exception they are made of rayon. On the other hand, that doesn't stop me... Anyway, I ordered two. Just what I need for puttering around the house.

I have a lot of puttering clothes. Old favorite tee shirts with noticeable latte stains, sweats or jeans with paint marks. I keep a bunch of those things for garden work.. and if I run to the store, I'm a hell of a vision of loveliness.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 02:46 pm
Osso--

Thanks for the link. I'm shopped out for the moment--although the sales were tempting--but come August when I'm a guaranteed "S" (and with luck, off crutches) I just might give the Smithsonian some of my money.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:31 pm
Update--

Tuesday is Senior Citizen's Day at the local supermarket (5% discount) and as I was loading my groceries in the car the trendy young woman in the next parking slot admired my dashiki (I was wearing the purple one) and asked where I'd found it.

Thanks all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:22 pm
The Circle Game...
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:31 pm
How about April Cornell?
http://aprilcornell.com

One of my favorites!
0 Replies