Hybridization of ammonia and water

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 11:55 pm
Hi, I know that the hybridization in ammonia and water is sp3 type. I also know that this means the two compounds make tetrahedral. I'm not sure that I understood the hybridization process ( figures ) in either thoroughly.

Could somebody clear this to me ? , I appreciate this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,456 • Replies: 5
No top replies

raprap

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:53 am
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:04 am
Hi rap, sorry for being late in my reply. I'm speaking about the hybrid orbitals in both nitrogen and oxygen. It's sp3 type like methane.If we consider the drawing of an sp3 hybrid, it should be like this,

2p blank

sp3 1 1 1 1

1s 11

That means six which is true for the carbon, what about nitrogen and oxygen ? If we take nitrogen, and taking in mind that it's sp3 then it should be like the above. A tetrahedron must have four hybrid orbitals.

sorry for the electrons drawing above.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:01 am
Each pole of the tetrahedron of sp3 consists of a pair of electrons with opposite spins (additional quantum #), that is what I was calling s2p6 because there are in actuality 8 electrons in the tetrahedronal field..

But yes an sp3 is an sp3 is an sp3 regardless of whether the central atom is carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, fluorine, or helium.

Rap
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:30 pm
Thanks rap.
0 Replies

trailguide15

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 01:13 pm
Hydrogen with one plus shares electron pair with NH4?
raprap wrote:

So I am trying to understand any chemistry - How does the hydrogen ion that is dissociated from water attach to the ammonia molecule and share two electrons? How does this help the H fill its valence shell? Doesn't it only need one electron?
0 Replies