What is offensive about poopy?

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2019 02:23 pm
Not the actual poopy but the word. I was saying the other day, I gotta go pick up some poopy bags for the dog. Without realizing I said poopy bags several times along with some other items I needed to pick up at the store. I repeat this list a few times so I don't forget anything. My husband said - stop saying that word!

I ask what word - and find out poopy is the offensive word. Never thought about that - would saying crap be better?

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2019 02:30 pm
@Linkat,
It's a silly and childish word. Not the same thing as offensive. Then again, we aren't your husband and don't know his sensibilities. You're going to have to ask your husband about the actual thing or things that are irritating him (beyond what he is presently expressing disapproval for at that given moment).

Is he as passively-aggressive as you sometimes seemingly imply him to be here at a2k?
roger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2019 02:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Remember, Phyllis Diller always referred to her husband as 'Fang'.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2019 02:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
I think that's it, a child's word coming from an adult is disconcerting.
roger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2019 03:54 pm
@engineer,
Okay, but what do you propose as an alternative word to convey the same meaning. Feces?
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2019 03:58 pm
@engineer,
Somebody irons their underwear.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2019 04:00 pm
since they're generally called poop bags, I'd stick with that

poopy sounds like the kids' take on it

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0995/5684/products/Large_Poop_Bag_Scented_1024x1024.jpg?v=1482283339

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e4/Captain_Underpants_Professor_Poopypants.jpg/220px-Captain_Underpants_Professor_Poopypants.jpg

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2019 04:16 pm
Everyone knows what "doggie bags" are - oh wait, that's what I use to take home uneaten restaurant food.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2019 04:27 pm
@roger,
Poop is fine
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2019 08:38 pm
@roger,
I am so old that I recall Rosanne Rosanadanna giving a talk about "Endangered Feces". on SNL.

Whats wrong with poopy. I have these wonderful talks with the grandkids and we call each other poopy-heads whenever the other wouldnt "get-it"

The parents hate it though. I taught one of the kids how to make fart sounds using her hand under the armpit. Thats what life is about, bringing yr snooty children down a coupla pegs by weaponizing your grandchildren .

farmerman

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2019 08:40 pm
@ehBeth,
I LOOOVE the citrus fresh scent. Nothin sez clean like an orange scented turd
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2019 08:45 pm
@farmerman,
I once bought some poop bags that were all kinds of fancy scents. Confused me every time. Why is my dog pooping sandalwood or vanilla or baby powder?

ok the baby powder one was easy- turns out the little white bags for disposing of diapers are the same size as dog poop bags, the rolls fit in the poop bag dispensers and the bags hold more while costing less. win/win/win even when the scent puzzles me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2019 09:40 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Whats wrong with poopy. I have these wonderful talks with the grandkids and we call each other poopy-heads whenever the other wouldnt "get-it"

Poopy-heads brings back fond memories of Dyslexia.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 06:55 am
@tsarstepan,
I did ask and he said it is gross. I think we started using the word poopy bags because when we first got a dog the kids were very young and as you said it is a childish word so it fit when telling them when they had to walk the dog - oh, don't forget the poopy bags.

There is no passive-aggressive just asking a simple question - what other word would work? It wasn't supposed to be super serious - I just found it funny that (like you said) a childish word is offensive. I know it is a bit of toilet talk but it is simple habit forming of what you have used for years to refer to these bags that are used to keep our neighborhood free of our dog's poop, crap, feces ... please insert whatever word is least offensive or silly to you.

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 06:56 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I am so old that I recall Rosanne Rosanadanna giving a talk about "Endangered Feces". on SNL.

The parents hate it though. I taught one of the kids how to make fart sounds using her hand under the armpit. Thats what life is about, bringing yr snooty children down a coupla pegs by weaponizing your grandchildren .

Thank you for that sound advice - I am going to pocket that for future use.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 07:01 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

please insert whatever word is least offensive or silly to you.

#shrugs
You could go with droppings? Surprised
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 07:15 am
@Linkat,
I don't think "poopy" is offensive or silly, just perhaps disconcerting. Imagine if you started calling your mother "mommy". It's not offensive, but a grown adult calling her mother that would be unusual in a conversation. I wonder if you used poop instead of poopy if your husband would have batted an eye. It's kind of funny, but each of the words you suggested has its own baggage. I thin crap is a little coarse, but perfectly acceptable, better than ****. Feces is technically correct but sounds very uptight. Poop is probably the most acceptable given that it is used on the labels of those bags.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 08:24 am
Call them "**** sacks" and see how that goes.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 09:33 am
@engineer,
Yeah its funny because I didn't think twice about what I was saying - just what we had been calling it for 9 or 1o years so I am talking about what I used to say to my 5 and 9 year old. Just never stopped calling it.

It is like when my friends and family call me by my childhood nickname - with the "y" at the end. My husband laughs because it is "kidish" but that is always what they called me.

I think Poop fits best. Or maybe just grap the bags - they will know what we mean.

I will try to grow up and move to using the word "poop."

(now that would make a good signature line.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 06:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Not over here.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1756/5555/products/Poo-bags.png?v=1499712427
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What is offensive about poopy?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 04:18:33