Ammonium cleaning agents..

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:08 pm
Hi everyone, it's me again.. and alas I need some expert help from you guys Smile It's an assignment for school, and I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on this assignment that might help me out:

Two housewives disagree on the strength of an ammonium cleaning agent. Housewife A thought that her brand was more effective than the brand of cleaning agent used by Housewife B. Plan and design an experiment that could be used to determine the more effective brand of cleaner.

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments you guys have to offer.
Much thanks for taking the time to read this..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,554 • Replies: 10
No top replies

raprap

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:25 pm
Determine the strength of ammonia in each cleaning solution --use a known concentration of acid to neutralize equal volumes of the two cleaning solutions. The cleanser that uses more of the known acid concentration solution to neutralize is the stronger ammonia solution.

Rap
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:26 pm
raprap wrote:
Determine the strength of ammonia in each cleaning solution --use a known concentration of acid to neutralize equal volumes of the two cleaning solutions. The cleanser that uses more of the known acid concentration solution to neutralize is the stronger ammonia solution.

Rap

How can you tell if it's neutralized?
0 Replies

English-Rose

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:29 pm
You mean like a titration?.. and in reference to what Brandon is saying.. could an indicator such as methyl orange be used?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:44 am
Yes, it is a titration
Yeppur. An indicator will be necessary. Sorry I left that part out.

Rap
0 Replies

neil

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:36 am
Since ammonia may not be the only ingredient determining effectiveness, a hundred kinds of grime might be prepared, to see which cleaner removed the most kinds with the least effort. One of the cleaners might have a buffering agent, such as sodium bicarbonate which would skew, I think, the neutralization with acid results. Neil
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:56 am
Or soaps and detergents.

However, household ammonia is normally a weak ammonia solution.

Rap
0 Replies

English-Rose

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 06:39 pm
would 0.01 moldm^3 of HCl be a suitable choice?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:11 am
I'm not sure what moldm^3 is. Usually acid strength is given in normalcy which is moles of hydrogen ions (H+) per liter (1000 cm^3).

As for concentration, for accuracy, it depends upon the concentration of ammonia.

Rap
0 Replies

English-Rose

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:39 am
moldm^3 is read as "mole per dm cubed"
1dm cubed = 1000 cm cubed
I think that you and I are talking about the same thing there.. well i suppose to be safe.. can anyone suggest an acid strength for me to use for the assignment.. i think we have to suggest a concentration for the acid..
Much thanks again for all the assistance
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 02:31 pm
You might want to up it to 0.1mol/dm3 - but go with hydrochloric acid. Methyl orange should work and yes titration's your best bet by far - most accurate
0 Replies