Hurricane Predictions???

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 05:35 pm
Dr. Gray at Colorado State predicts hurricanes every year. Given that I live in a place that has had it's fair share of storms over the last decade, Dr. Gray gets lots of press including the front page of the newspaper and prominent mention on the radio news. His predictions are even posted where I work. I went to his website to look at his predictions and found the information below. Based on this, Dr. Gray's April predictions do not correlate at all to reality. Basically, you could predict just as well by saying that we average 8 storms a year with 3 majors, so that is what we'll get this year.

Weather professor, nice job if you can get it.

Year
Predicted Hurricanes
Actual Hurricanes
Predicted Major Hurricanes
Actual Major Hurricanes

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 822 • Replies: 2
No top replies

neil

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:32 am
I'm surprised there is so little variation since 1999 in the actual. Do you suppose the professor fine tuned the number of hurricanes and the number of major hurricanes to improve his apparent accuracy? Neil
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 12:43 pm
Changed predictions
neil wrote:
I'm surprised there is so little variation since 1999 in the actual. Do you suppose the professor fine tuned the number of hurricanes and the number of major hurricanes to improve his apparent accuracy? Neil

He re-issues his predictions in October. Of course his predictions look a lot better half way into the season. I used his April predictions which are getting all the press right now.
0 Replies