Kind of paranoid

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2019 11:02 pm
I use to have a number in which I would receive calls from a private number at inappropriate times, for example 12-4 a.m, but off course I would be asleep a those times & would just wake up to the missed calls. But one time I got called in the afternoon & I answered & all I heard was breathing & they hanged up. I had 2 potential culprits, my renter's creepy husband or the old man that was like an obsessed stalker. Anyways I changed my number & the calls stopped. It might be confusing but I shared a Netflix account with the old man and so I updated my new phone number on Netflix but after a few weeks I decided to cancel Netflix. Well few days later I get a text from the old man & I was so confused since I had not given him my new number. As soon as he asked about Netflix it made sense how he got it. Anyways today i was upset and crying & then all of sudden i get a text from him asking if I was okay and honestly it's not the first time that happens & I'm a bit paranoid. By the way he has never had access to my phone physically and he lives in Palmdale. What ways can your phone be hacked? Should I be concerned or scared?
SORRY FOR THE LONG PARAGRAPH, I GUESS I JUST WANTED TO GIVE A BIT OF BACKGROUND

glitterbag

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2019 11:33 pm
@Clueless25,
You might have a problem, maybe you should get some help sussing out if you have been hacked or are being surveilled. Do you have an "Alexa:" by any chance?
Clueless25

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2019 11:38 pm
@glitterbag,
Where can I go? No I don't
glitterbag

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2019 11:46 pm
@Clueless25,
What about SIRI or any other wifi butler.
Clueless25

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2019 11:58 pm
@glitterbag,
I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 and it came with BIXBY.

I received a notification that says, System Service has been detected using Microphone, but I wasn't using my phone.
I have gotten that notification a couple of times before but when I am using my phone so I didn't think much of it but right now its different
glitterbag

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2019 12:14 am
@Clueless25,
This is out of my league, but I will ask around and see if I can find a source for you. Just try not to yak anywhere near the phones...Good luck....there are much better analysts here on A2K than me, if I were you I'd send a note to the admins and ask them to recommend a member that can really give you good advice.
Clueless25

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2019 12:26 am
@glitterbag,
Well thank you, I appreciate the time you took to try and help me. Have a good night
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2019 12:27 am
@glitterbag,
BillRM is probably a good source on computer security, and likely other electronics, as

I don't know how to contact the admins, nor if they would respond.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2019 02:18 am
@Clueless25,
Sorry about not being able to offer any tech knowhow, but I do know that people who make those sort of phone calls are cowards. They get off on anonymity, and they're too scared to look you in the eye.
jespah

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2019 06:10 am
I've got a Samsung 8+ and while it's not identical, it's probably close enough.

Bixby is probably not your issue. There is voice recognition but at least on mine you can tell when it's on.

I would suggest combing through your downloaded apps carefully to see if you have anything where someone can track your whereabouts, even innocently. For example, I have an app from RoadID which will alert my husband if I go out to exercise and am not back within a certain length of time (if I set it; it's not automatic).

Dump any apps where you can be tracked and turn off location tracking for the apps you do keep. There seems to be some sort of exploit going on, and to my mind (I am not an expert!), location tracking is a logical way for the exploit to work.

I would also block the number which should block texts as well. I believe you can even report it, although that may just be for spam.

Of course, please wait for someone with more savvy than me, but those are my thoughts.
Clueless25

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2019 12:42 pm
@jespah,
Thank you for you time, have a nice day.
0 Replies

Clueless25

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2019 12:43 pm
@izzythepush,
It's okay, have a nice day:)
0 Replies