Black cats may be the more fortunate felines

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2003 11:53 am
Black cats may be the more fortunate felines
18:19 04 March 03
Shaoni Bhattacharya
Journal reference Current Biology (vol 13, p 448)

Black cats, a symbol of bad luck in many cultures, may be actually be more fortunate than their fairer relatives. New research shows that black coats have evolved separately many times in different species of cat - indicating that dark fur has a survival benefit.

Furthermore, the mutations leading to a black coat are in the same gene family as those involved in human diseases like AIDS, so it may be that black cats are more resistant to disease than others. Of the 37 species of cat that exist, 11 can have black coats.

Eduardo Eizirik, an evolutionary geneticist at the US National Cancer Institute in Maryland, says: "There are parallels with humans. [The gene mutation system found] does have parallels with other systems potentially involved in disease."

But he told New Scientist that the most likely benefit of a black coat was camouflage for hunting. The study was unusual, he says, because it explored the molecular basis of a trait that could have an evolutionary advantage.

Melanism mapping

Eizirik, Stephen O'Brien and colleagues mapped, cloned and sequenced two genes associated with "melanism" - having a black coat. They identified changes in a gene called agouti which controls blackness in the hair of domestic cats.

Changes in a connected gene known as MC1R were also implicated in melanism in jaguars and the small South American felines, jaguarundis.

MC1R is a member of the same gene superfamily as a human gene called CCR5, which is pivotal in letting HIV enter a cell. CCR5 codes for a protein that sits in the membrane of a cell and can be used as a doorway by a variety of infecting viruses.

"So perhaps the selective pressure that allowed these mutations to survive in cats may not be camouflage. Perhaps the mutations cause resistance of the cats to bugs," O'Brien told Reuters.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,911 • Replies: 6
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 05:35 pm
Interesting. I have a black cat. Of course, on of the big advantages for a nocturnal predator is a coat that camflagues them.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 05:50 pm
My son has two black cats- One a sleek graceful feline, the other a fat fluffy darling. I am crazy about both of them!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 08:31 am
Barney is black, too. Surprisingly to me, his nose and toe pads are also black, rather than the more common pink. In all modesty, Barney is a very lucky cat.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:04 pm
both of mine are black..both lucky...good to hear about some scientific study on it though anyway.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 02:25 pm
I have two long-haired domestics, both black. One has yellow eyes, the other, bright pumpkin-colored.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 02:41 pm
That's probably more than I ever wanted to know about black cats.

Of all the cats I've shared space with, the most special to me was my little black cat. She too was all black. Her official name was Black Pearl of the Orient, but around the neighborhood she was known as Mrs ........ little black cat, and that was her name. She slept on my head, and when she got sick and died I was disconsolate, and sure I could never be with another cat.

So now we have Minnie Pearl, who is dark gray striped, not a lap sitter, and very funny.
0 Replies