has anyone travelled in Donegal?

Vivien

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:02 pm
Hi has anyone travelled in Donegal? My husband was originally from there and I'm trying to persuade him to stay there this summer (tried for the last 3 summers unsuccessfully Rolling Eyes but never say die).

I'm particularly interested in the west coast - any information? photographs? recommendations? pitfalls - apart from the weather! ... anything.

I've looked at cottages I liked in Ardara, Kilcar and further north near The Rosses - but where to stay Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 771 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 01:49 pm
Have you been in touch with the Irish Tourist Bureau?

http://www.ireland.ie/
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 02:18 pm
<little hand waving>
yes, briefly!

Weather - ugh! I think it rained all the time - in May. But - that's what you get - so what!

Spectacular coastline. I stayed in Rathmullen (I think, was 1997) - but the area is just lovely, and I have an invite to go back. A friend I didn't know then apparently has a house there. Bah!

I'm not sure it matters where you stay - decide on the sort of area you want, and just go. (Mind you, this is from an Australian - distances are nothing!)

Some recollections:

They speak Irish - at least in parts. I was driving along, with the radio on, and there was some sort of quiz. I didn't understand the question, but the answer came loud and clear: Aardvark!
The next question and answer I didn't understand, but the following question ended in SHINE. And the answer: Geoffrey Rush! It was just after he'd won the Oscar.

Getting lost. I am hopelessly and near-terminally lost in the northern hemisphere, always. You people just do funny things with the sun, or something! Even with a good map, I still can't believe what it's telling me.
I was wandering around, on some little back roads, without a clue as to where I was, or where I was going. I work on the principle that, as long as I keep moving, I'll get to somewhere or other, and then be able to find my way to somewhere else! Or maybe not. I uusally have no reservations, so it doesn't matter where I go. I'm driving around, and I came to a post office, which gave the name of a village. I found that village on the map, but could make no sense of the roads - they weren't as shown on the map. I went into the post office to ask directions. <musta wanted a feed, or something!>. I got almost the classic Irish response, you can't get there from here! Although the Post Office gave the village name, the lady insisted I wasn't in that village (and there was nothing else around but grazing, so she may have been right!). She was so helpful, gave such detailed and confusing directions, with such a strong accent, that I was lost again within about 500 metres! Resorted to the margo method - look for a biggish road - it'll go somewhere (don't do this in Oz - it's not always the case!)

I was just looking at my map - but can't recall the names of any of the places - I must stop this drinking!

and they have funny looking sheep!

I loved it - and would relish spending some more time there! Ireland - or some parts thereof, was in my plan for this September, but has had to be postponed..... Sad

Keep us posted!
0 Replies