What should happen to Jamal Adams tackling Pat?

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 09:46 am
Jamal Adams says the NFL isn't happy with him after he tackled Pat Patriot at the Pro Bowl.

Adams, who got a running start, leveled the Patriots' mascot Wednesday at the NFL Pro Bowl In Florida. The Jets player posted the video on Twitter saying, “This one is for every Patriots hater out there. I got y’all.”

Upon learning that the person who played Pat Patriot may have been injured, Adams seemed to change his tune in an ESPN interview. “I didn’t hit him that hard, man … my intention was never to hurt him … we were out here just having fun and it wasn’t nothing intentionally to try to hurt the guy.”

Thankfully, it appears that the man who plays Pat Patriot wasn’t injured. Adams’s initial claim that the man was hospitalized has been clarified by the Patriots. On Friday, a Patriots spokesperson told the Providence Journal’s Mark Daniels that the man was not hospitalized. However, the man “did seek medical treatment from the on-site medic” for what the spokesperson describes as a “painful attack” by Adams.

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 09:49 am
@Linkat,
To be honest when I first saw this (even being a Pats fan) I thought it funny. But then you realize you really do not know who is in this costume - it could be a 100 pound woman. Do you think it is smart for a 200+ pound professional athlete to tackle someone that could be half his weight even if you do not "hit them hard?" His definition of not hard I am sure is much different than the average person.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 11:27 am
@Linkat,

these guys should not be tackling anyone on the sideline, especially those not wearing pads or a helmet.

can't blame Adams for being frustrated -- the NYJ haven't been relevant in years...
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 12:12 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

these guys should not be tackling anyone on the sideline, especially those not wearing pads or a helmet.

Except it does look like the mascot (forced to do a simple Google image search) is in fact wearing pads and the headcovering is heavily padded (if not necessarily a full contact helmet).

Linkat wrote:

it could be a 100 pound woman.

Has the mascot ever looked like she or he was wearing stilts and obvious fake muscle padding? There is very little chance that a tiny woman would make for an imposing mascot given the image that the Patriots want to bring with the mascot in the first place.

At least the (very likely) muscle padding does in fact provide padding ... albeit ... not likely to be certified by OSHA or whatever health organization certifies NFL football equipment.

Ultimately, force the football player to do 100 hours of community service. That seems to be fair.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 12:13 pm
@Linkat,
Just a question... why does the gender of the person matter. Is hitting an 100 pound man any more excusable than hitting an "100 pound woman"?

Ronda Rousey could have been in that costume (and that might have been even more funny).
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 12:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Ronda Rousey (would appreciate the inclusion to this thread until you implied she is a 100 pound weakling). Wiki has her at 131 pounds (probably mostly muscle).

Ronda Rousey could have been in that costume and that would have been pretty funny... especially if she then pinned the football player in question.
Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 12:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Ultimately, force the football player to do 100 hours of community service. That seems to be fair.

Yeah in a Brady jersey.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 12:56 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

Yeah in a Brady jersey.

Laughing That only makes sense of course. Laughing
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 03:00 pm
@Linkat,
Nothing. This was a prank gone slightly wrong, but unless the mascot files charges, there is no crime here. An apology would be welcome and payment of medical fees if any were incurred, but that is between them.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2019 03:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
My point was that the gender of the person being tackled is really irrelevant.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2019 10:54 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

My point was that the gender of the person being tackled is really irrelevant.

It is, but Linkat's casting the hypothetical alternative as a woman had (I feel certain) nothing more to it than making the point that Adams was reckless with this stunt because didn't know who was wearing the costume and that it could have been a person far more vulnerable to physical force than he imagined.

If we begin with the assumption that Adams presumed the person inside the costume was at least a rough human analog, a burly man, then the "opposite" figure that would, initially, come to most minds is a petite woman. She could have written "tiny man," "transgender dwarf," "large infant," or "frail geezer," but (aside from the fact that at least three of these four "types" would never have been inside the costume) she went with the obvious and conventional counterpart to the "burly man." I feel quite certain that Linkat neither gave a moment's thought to the potential political or moral implications of assigning a female gender to her hypothetical or was sub-consciously revealing either her reliance on antiquated gender stereotypes of an underlying belief that a woman's personal safety is more important than a man's.

I generally agree with much of your views on what appears to be your favorite topic, and I have repeatedly offered my support against claims that you are a misogynist, but sometimes you either overthink issues involving (even tangentially) men and women or you are obsessed with repeatedly making the same point about gender equality and look for opportunities in every post on A2K.

Sometime a cigar is just a cigar.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2019 11:22 am
Whatever should happen to one who commits assault and battery should
happen to Mr. Adams.
roger

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2019 11:38 am
@George,
That's my feeling, too. We're not talking about a well conditioned, professional athlete involved in a game.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2019 05:48 pm
@Linkat,
It’s still an assault and could be prosecuted if the person wanted to pursue it. He was doing his job as a mascot and didn’t expect or should be subjected to assault. It should result in paying for his medical care. And perhaps some personal damages.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What should happen to Jamal Adams tackling Pat?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:38:58