Your Most Favorite Elvis Song

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:43 pm
The local oldies station plays Jailhouse Rock and Suspicious Minds every day. Jailhouse Rock is one of the most played Elvis songs, which may be why I don't bother to put it on lists. One of the three networks is going to show a made for TV film called Elvis in a few days.
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:51 pm
I recall reading something about the made for TV show in one of those newsletters (maybe from the official Elvis site?). Thanks for telling us, Edgar.

Is that right that Jailhouse Rock and Suspicious Minds are so popular? (I don't listen to the radio. Even though I found out some channels for oldies, I don't really like the songs/singers they play.) Jailhouse Rock is best when you look at Elvis performing, not just to listen to.
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:55 pm
Here is the link where I got the info on the number of the songs (in my first post), as well as the list of the 739 songs.

http://elvis.meetup.com/boards/view/viewthread?thread=1125610
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 03:47 am
Hi Bram. Yes, I sing Kenny Rogers. This is a particular crowd pleaser as many people know the chorus and will join in. It's a good song to get the crowd involved. I've sung in about ten different places. They're all different. As a matter of fact I'm singing in a place I've never sung before on Friday. I've been singing for three years now. I'm 65 and still can't believe I went so far in life without singing. I love it.

THE GAMBLER

Kenny Rogers

On a warm summer's evenin' on a train bound for nowhere,
I met up with the gambler; we were both too tired to sleep.
So we took turns a starin' out the window at the darkness
'til boredom overtook us, and he began to speak.

He said, son, I've made a life out of readin' people's faces,
And knowin' what their cards were by the way they held their eyes.
So if you don't mind my sayin', I can see you're out of aces.
For a taste of your whiskey I'll give you some advice.

So I handed him my bottle and he drank down my last swallow.
Then he bummed a cigarette and asked me for a light.
And the night got deathly quiet, and his face lost all expression.
Said, if you're gonna play the game, boy, ya gotta learn to play it right.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

Now ev'ry gambler knows that the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away and knowing what to keep.
'cause ev'ry hand's a winner and ev'ry hand's a loser,
And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep.

So when he'd finished speakin', he turned back towards the window,
Crushed out his cigarette and faded off to sleep.
And somewhere in the darkness the gambler, he broke even.
But in his final words I found an ace that I could keep.

You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.

You never count you r money when you're sittin' at the table.
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 03:59 pm
Lucille is a good one too. I saw it in the DVD Kenny Rogers Live By Request. He is quite something, being able to take requests on the spot - on live TV - like that.

One I particularly like is Unchained Melody. I think it is a favorite of Elvis too. Sung by Kenny and Engelbert also.

Well, Bob, it is never too late to start something. I actually attended a pre-retirement seminar and there was a psychologist who was there telling us he has never been so happy and so ... bright Laughing , in his life, as during his retirement. No more stress and rush rush things. Considering that people live longer now (average age is 73 for men and 75 for women) and are healthier, singing is as best as you could get. Provided, of course, that you sing Elvis songs. Laughing
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 04:28 pm
OK, Elvis fans, the TV show announced by Edgar will air on CBS on

Sun May 8, 2005 at 9 PM ET/PT and
Wed May 11 at 8 PM ET/PT.

Here is the link:

http://www.cbs.com/specials/elvis/
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 02:43 am
Unchained Melody was my first "signature" song. The rendition I sang was by the Righteous Brothers. My second was Willie Nelson's Aways on my Mind. Can't Help Falling in Love is the third. When you sing with the same singers, they recognize that it's your song and as a courtesy they don't choose it to sing. You extend that same courtesy to them and don't sing theirs.
0 Replies

Vicki G

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:24 am
My very favorite Elvis song is Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby. It's from Speedway, where he sings to the little girls living in the car with their dad. He's done lots of other songs that people love, and I like a lot of them too, but this one is special to me.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:39 am
My Uncle was a race car driver, coach for my twin cousins who did Golden Glove boxing, manager for my Aunt who was a singer, and with his encouragement started her own band, and all around fun and loving person. He met his biggest challenge with his diagnosis of cancer at the age of 36.

At his funeral, one of the guys from my aunts band sang My Way. It has been my favorite Elivis song ever since. It really was the way he lived.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:09 pm
"My Way"- I actually liked it better than Frank's version.
runner's up-"Heartbreak Hotel",That's All Right Mama", "Are you Lonesome Tonight?", and "Jailhouse Rock"
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:17 pm
"Suspicious Minds" makes me cry. It's that good.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:26 pm
in the ghetto
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 04:16 pm
SOOO many good ones but probably my favorite (at least currently) is the relatively little known first cut off his best album ever, "Elvis from Memphis" called "Stranger In My Own Town." A rambling, shambling, rollicking piece of very late 60s Memphis rock and roll, complete with the jangling Joe South style (ala "The Games People Play") guitars.
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:28 pm
I don't know that one. Got to find it then! Confused
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:44 pm
i'm surprised nobody has mentioned Do the Clam. Rolling Eyes i'm kidding, but has anyone actually heard that song?
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:26 pm
Maybe it is from a movie?

I like "My Way" immensely also. In the CD "Elvis In Concert" (on the CD cover, there is a picture of Elvis wearing a blue jumpsuit with a black eagle with the wings spread, I think), Elvis introduced the song by saying that he did not know the words and so he was going to read it, if the audience did not mind. And I found that he sang it even better than Frank Sinatra too.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 07:37 pm
bram, if you're asking about "do the clam," it's from a movie called--what else--"clambake."

one elvis tune that doesn't often get mentioned, but i really like, is "If I Can Dream"--very 60's, very idealistic, naive in hindsight, perhaps, but i still like it. Smile
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 07:43 pm
There are so many good ones. I kinda like one that I never hear too often. I think it is called "One Night With You"
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:25 pm
I like "If I Can Dream" a lot too. It is in the '68 Comeback DVD.

I don't know about "one Night With You", but I am trying to find "Such A Night". Engelbert sang it and it was just great.
0 Replies

chispita73

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:57 pm
Wow so so many.. mine favorite at the time is Devil in Disguise or Burning Love...
0 Replies